PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service engine soon light flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine soon light flashing...

hey guys, I just got long tube headers, ory, and loudmouth 2 installed along with k&n and slp lid. As soon as I started the car and backed up the service engine light started flashing. Any idea on what it could be? Will a scanner be able to figure out what the problem is? i read somewhere before it could be an active misfire? what in the install could have caused an active misfire? thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

probably cuz of the rear O2 sensors, since you have lt headers... still have the CAT's on?

you'll need to get a tune to disable all of the rear O2 sensor codes... and if you have no more CAT's, you can disable the CAT codes and the COT protection too...

take it to an Autozone if ya have one near ya, they scan codes for free... find out what the codes are, write 'em down, and post 'em up here...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flashing ses light is a catastrophic misfire. Check your plug wires. Or did you drop any of your plugs when had them out?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
probably cuz of the rear O2 sensors, since you have lt headers... still have the CAT's on?

you'll need to get a tune to disable all of the rear O2 sensor codes... and if you have no more CAT's, you can disable the CAT codes and the COT protection too...

take it to an Autozone if ya have one near ya, they scan codes for free... find out what the codes are, write 'em down, and post 'em up here...
He's got a Predator....
Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by srtricky
hey guys, I just got long tube headers, ory, and loudmouth 2 installed along with k&n and slp lid. As soon as I started the car and backed up the service engine light started flashing. Any idea on what it could be? Will a scanner be able to figure out what the problem is? i read somewhere before it could be an active misfire? what in the install could have caused an active misfire? thanks in advance!
Plug in your Predator and go to Options/Diagnostics/Show trouble codes.
The codes will likely be a P0300 (random misfire) or P0301-P0308 representing a specific cylinder misfiring.

If it is a specific cylinder, check the plug wires as mentioned, as they may be burning on a header.

If it is a P0300, check the O2 sensor wiring, as well as all of the spark plug wires and plugs as well.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

what the hell you doin' here after hours??!! thought you didn't have a 'puter at home??!! AAAHAHAHAHAA!!!

and how did you know / remember he has a predator??!!! he didn't say that??? damn, you're head MUST hurt....

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
flashing ses light is a catastrophic misfire. Check your plug wires. Or did you drop any of your plugs when had them out?
aaahhh, didn't know that about the "flashing" SES light... learn something new everyday...

cool, thx man...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Mike and I had a misunderstanding so he remembers me now lol (not exactly an ideal way to be remembered though.) Bottom line thanks for the info Mike I really appreciate it. I don't know how to even use the damn diablosport thing so I guess I'll hook it in tomorrow morning and tell you guys what the codes are. My installer told me he doesn't have time until Jan 2nd to fix it and I drive this thing all the time. Should I tell him f-that fix it immediately? He said it might just be a spark plug that isn't in properly and that the worst thing that could possibly happen is it will run rich.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up testing it righ tnow Mike was on the money the code says this:

P0300 Random Multiple Cyc Misfire Detected

So is this something that can wait until Jan 2nd to fix or does it need to be fixed immediately? He said it was hard to install the spark plugs and that one is probably just loose?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

naaahhhh... he just got lucky....

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'd see if you can get someone with some automotive knowledge to take a quick look at it, as it should be a simple fix assuming it is spark plug related.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Definitely check the plugs and wires. For a detailed description of the P0300, read this.

Note that it describes a flashing SES as a 'catalyst misfire' detection. So you might want to read about P0420/P0430 as well. You don't mention anything about your cats.

Check all the install stuff you just did. Does the scanner show the car to be lean?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Guys the problem is I am clueless when it comes to mechanics. I got an actual shop to do my install for me. He is saying he needs until January 2nd because he is busy until then. I honestly would not know where to start. I also need him to realign my tips so he will do both things thing. Just wondering if I can daily driver this thing until then?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

If it's a specific cylinder missing then the code will tell you. PO 301,for cyl 1. PO302 for #2 and on and on.

PO300 is a generic misfire code. The ECM has detected that the engine is running maybe a bit rough but cannot determine which cylinder is misfiring. Probably you DON'T have a cylinder miss. The ECM is looking at the reluctor wheel speed in between cylinder firing events, and it measures this in microseconds or millionths of a second. **** happens fast!

Did you install a camshaft? This certainly will set po300, and your cylinder misfire index which is what the ecm looks at when engine is running less than 3000 rpm.

Find someone with an OBD2 scanner and look at the freeze frame when the code was set. This will tell you RPM and engine temp, road speed, engine load, etc. Might help to determine when it sets.

Engine running overly rich or lean?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I think the engine is running rich and it turned out that it was one of the spark plugs. I got that problem fixed now I have a cat efficiency code and I'm sure right after that I'll have some more
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by srtricky
I think the engine is running rich and it turned out that it was one of the spark plugs. I got that problem fixed now I have a cat efficiency code and I'm sure right after that I'll have some more
Your gonna have to get a tune after your LT install. Cars gonna run rich until you get one.