Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What size spacers do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size spacers do I need?

I just bought some factory '08 Corvette wheels, and I BELIEVE the offset on the rears are +79. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, I'm putting them on a '99 WS6, and I need to know what size spacers to get. Someone told me 1.25", but when I told that to a wheel and tire guy, he said there was NO way, because it would break.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, first off you don't need spacers . . . you need adapters.

79 - 50 = 29 mm or ~ 1 1/8" which would be the THINNEST adapter to work.

Therefore a 1 1/4" adapter would work fine.

Try to fine a nice hub and wheel centric unit like Eibach and H&R sells. They are pricey but you certainly do not want your wheel to fall off.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Well, first off you don't need spacers . . . you need adapters.

79 - 50 = 29 mm or ~ 1 1/8" which would be the THINNEST adapter to work.

Therefore a 1 1/4" adapter would work fine.

Try to fine a nice hub and wheel centric unit like Eibach and H&R sells. They are pricey but you certainly do not want your wheel to fall off.
I hear ya there. That's the main thing I'm scared of. I've heard horror stories about that...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's what you're looking for. I got mine off of eBay for about $60 per pair:
Attached Thumbnails What size spacers do I need?-rear-spacer.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

^ True . . but that adapter is neither hub or wheel centric . . . and @ $60 is pretty inexpensive

This is a hub and wheel centric adapter.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
^ True . . but that adapter is neither hub or wheel centric . . . and @ $60 is pretty inexpensive
...but if the eBay adapters bolt to the stock studs just like a stock wheel would, then wouldn't they be centered as well? They've got the same angled holes and lugs as a stock wheel, so that should center just like it would if it were a stock wheel, right? Then, the wheel bolts to the adapters the same as it would to the stock hub too, so wouldn't it still be centered as well?

I understand the general consensus is that a hub and wheel centric adapter is supposed to be a superior product, but I'm not sure how it's superior if they both work the same way. The only real difference I see is the lip on the inner hole of the H&R adapters, but aren't the lug nuts what really centers the wheel anyway?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
...but if the eBay adapters bolt to the stock studs just like a stock wheel would, then wouldn't they be centered as well? They've got the same angled holes and lugs as a stock wheel, so that should center just like it would if it were a stock wheel, right? Then, the wheel bolts to the adapters the same as it would to the stock hub too, so wouldn't it still be centered as well?

I understand the general consensus is that a hub and wheel centric adapter is supposed to be a superior product, but I'm not sure how it's superior if they both work the same way. The only real difference I see is the lip on the inner hole of the H&R adapters, but aren't the lug nuts what really centers the wheel anyway?
agreed, i bought mine off of ebay too, i read that wheel/ hub centric is actually weaker because it narrows the metal on the inside of the spacer to center the adapter to the disk...
not saying hub centric is weaker, jsut what i read. personally dont see a difference either way