Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how do you hook up 10 speaker system ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you hook up 10 speaker system ?

Hi All,
right now I have (2) 400watt amps, kappa speakers front component ,mid speakers ,rear speakers, also a 10" dual voice coil sub.
my Q is i'm going to get a new alpine stereo and how do you guys hook up the speakers? if its a 4 channel output you have the front & rear but what about the mids and sub?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Launching!

ok well for starters does your vehicle have a spot that already has front mids and rear speakers in it all your doing is replacing them with aftermarket ones ? If so all you will have to do is take out the ones that are in there and hook them up to whats there and then you will just have to hook your cd player up and so your speakers will be ran off the amp built into your cd player which is good enough. Now if you don't have any wiring for the front mids and rear then what you will have to do is with one of the 2 amps that you have you say they are 4 channel you will then run the 2 front speaker positive and negive and put both positives in one slot and both negatives in the negative next to it on the top side of the amp. Now with the mids you will do the same and you will do these on the same level as with the door speakers so you have 2 hooked up on the top level and the bottom is open now on the bottom you will bridge the bottom side of the amp so you take the rear positives and hook them up the same but only 1 wire in each possitive and 1 wire in each negative instead of 2 speakers per channel like stated above and your doing this because your rears should pull more wattage. Now you have your other 400 watt amp which is also 4 channel i take it and its dual voice coil depends on how low of a ohm load your amp goes to for a 8 ohm load which is safe you take on the back of the sub you run a positive and negative outside the box and the other positive negative you hook together there are many other ways on how to hook up your sub for different ohm loads. And then you would bridge the sub on the 4 channel amp you would just hook one positive on one side and the negative on the other on either the top or the bottom level doesn't matter. I hope this makes sense if not break down what it is that you really need. I hope all you are needing is how to hook up sub that you already have places to put the other speakers let me know .
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

if these are going in the trans am you should be able to just hook the speaker right into were the existing ones are and just hook your cd player up and all your speakers will work and you won't need an amp. if thats what you doing i can go into more detail about the sub i need more info on it and what kind your amp is and sub.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks pate, that makes sense I was confussed on the front and mids but I see what your doing, the front and mid are the same and the rear is sepperate so when you do the fade from front to rear its really front+ MID/ and rear is rear.
I already have the kappa speakers in place. front,mid,rear, and I added the sub in the cuddy side in the rear, I made a front so the sub is inclosed.
all I need to do is get my head unit (alpine 9884) and hook up the wires.

the only thing I see here that I won't have balance Left /right because now your doing front/mids is left & right. but thats kinda good because Idon't use balance plus now you have a balance between front & mid.

thanks alot.

Last edited by slagger; 12-18-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

now i'm thinking.
I replaced the rear stock speakers with 4x10 coaxle i'm wondering you could prob try a couple of thing by making the front sepperate and hooking up the mid & rear togther in stead the front& mid and seeing the sound I like better or?
have you tryed it ?
just a thought.
the amps I have I remember they will go 1ohm pretty sure.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Launching!

well if i were you i would personally just hook the speakers right up to how they are so that they would be wired into your cd player so they are just like what was in there you can control them yourself. But if you are really wanting to use the amp to power them let me know. in my car i have my pansonic running all my component speakers and just an amp running my sub thats how i have always ran my stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

I ran all aftermarket speakers to amps and just ran the rca's from the head unit to the amp. I must say it was a huge difference and am very glad I did it. BUT I must add I did the whole 10 speaker thing. running the tweeters off of the head unit and the mids off the head unit. I am guessing because of the difference in what was powering them the set up sounded awful at first. tweeters were way too high and the mids way too low. I tried hard to fix it all and ended up just taking out the tweeters and 6x9's in the back and it sounds great. now I am running infinity 3ways in the front and 4" mids in the rear off of a 400watt 4ch. I have the one 10" sub in the back in a stealth box ran off of a 700watt monoblock. so only 5 speakers but it still sounds 100x better than stock and with my x-over I have a lot of control on each speaker.

my .02
Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i'm prob going to run the fronts,mids,rear, all off the 1 amp and power the sub with my other amp.
I just ordered the Alpine 9884 stereo.

Quick Reply: how do you hook up 10 speaker system ?