LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 Rockers on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Rockers on LT1

Hey everyone. Im new to this site and was doing some searching on this forum about putting LS1 rockers on an LT1. I have been researching it and plan to do this myself. The one thing i noticed everyone was doing is drilling the rockers to fit the 3/8 lt1 studs. This is IMO is completely pointless other than the gained lift. Why not get some Bigserts to adapt the rocker stud holes from 7/16 to 5/16. This will allow you to run the LS1 link bar to make em shaft mounted and do away with guide plates altogether. The only thing is, is ud probably have to buy diferent length pushrods of coarse. But the whole setup would do wonders for upper RPM valvetrain stability, which equates to HP.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. Do a writeup for people to copy you. Then you can share what does and doesn't work.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Do it. Do a writeup for people to copy you. Then you can share what does and doesn't work.
haha yeah please do. id love to have a set of Harland Sharp 1.8rr's!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Although if i remember correctly a few tried this over on cz28 but were having problems gettin the valvetrain geometry correct.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the valve train options out there for LT1s this just seems like a huge waste of effort/time/money, especially since LSx lifters like to puke out their needle bearings.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea im sure the heads will have to be setup in the bridgeport to cut the stud bosses down the thickness of the link bar to get the geometry close. I guess working in a machine shop makes the process much cheaper and easier. But to me its worth the labor and 18 dollors for 16 bigserts. If every one likes the conventional stud mount rockers then more power to u, but compare a stud mount to a shaft mount rocker on a spintron.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wht97ws6ta
Yea im sure the heads will have to be setup in the bridgeport to cut the stud bosses down the thickness of the link bar to get the geometry close. I guess working in a machine shop makes the process much cheaper and easier. But to me its worth the labor and 18 dollors for 16 bigserts. If every one likes the conventional stud mount rockers then more power to u, but compare a stud mount to a shaft mount rocker on a spintron.

I understand your logic, but unless you're thinking about aftermarket LS-1 rockers, the OE pieces can be troublesome, plus they're not completely rollerized, just the fulcrums. Therefore, unless you already had a set of the rockers, and were looking for a "science project", it sounds like a LOT of work for any gain you might see. In fact, I think that there are already a couple of shaft mount conversions already available for the Gen1 and Gen2 small blocks.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Why would you do that when you could keep the weight off of the rocker by just making a cam that has the same valve event?

SWS
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I understand your logic, but unless you're thinking about aftermarket LS-1 rockers, the OE pieces can be troublesome, plus they're not completely rollerized, just the fulcrums. Therefore, unless you already had a set of the rockers, and were looking for a "science project", it sounds like a LOT of work for any gain you might see. In fact, I think that there are already a couple of shaft mount conversions already available for the Gen1 and Gen2 small blocks.
I can see where are coming from to. The fact of the matter is my pocket isnt a grand deep at anygiven moment. I have a set off a 5.3 truck rockers with 30,000 miles on them. Its like u say its more or less a project. Im not worried about them not being roller tiped b/c that wont help or hurt. About the only advantage of a roller rocker is that they help cut down on oil temps and more consistant ratios. But if it werent for the LS rockers spilling their guts then they would better than any jesel setup because they are steel and have less rotating inertial weight. What more could u want.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Not 100% sure but i believe that that the 5.3 truck rockers are only 1.6's vs. the 1.7's on ls1. And there isnt anything wrong with the ls1 rockers, i know of a lot of people running the stock rockers on there cammed cars.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

man, I work in a machine shop, and am the king of afro-engineering, but there's no way in hell I'd waste my time on that.

I tried saving a few bucks running LS6 springs with a comp 501 cam, and lost my *** on the whole deal.

by the time you figure in your labor rate, you could probably buy some cheap, used yella-terra shaft rockers off ebay.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
man, I work in a machine shop, and am the king of afro-engineering, but there's no way in hell I'd waste my time on that.

I tried saving a few bucks running LS6 springs with a comp 501 cam, and lost my *** on the whole deal.

by the time you figure in your labor rate, you could probably buy some cheap, used yella-terra shaft rockers off ebay.
Definately agree. I was thinkin about it before but the risk and labor isnt worth the reward. Just go buy the rockers stated above or check out the Scorpions.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey

Then u got a used set of rockers that u dont know who has whored around with, that isnt any better than what i already have. Not trying to come across as mr smarty pants but how long does it take to set the heads up in the mill cut the bosses down and screw in a set of bigserts and measure for pushrods. Shouldnt take anymore than 2 hours. Not that complicated.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Then u got a used set of rockers that u dont know who has whored around with, that isnt any better than what i already have. Not trying to come across as mr smarty pants but how long does it take to set the heads up in the mill cut the bosses down and screw in a set of bigserts and measure for pushrods. Shouldnt take anymore than 2 hours. Not that complicated.
How much would that cost somebody to do if they just dropped there heads off at a machine shop?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95z28camaro
How much would that cost somebody to do if they just dropped there heads off at a machine shop?
lol Probably $700 due to shops liking to charge for "having to buy the machine to do the job" and then "the knowledge of how to do it right" as well as time it takes
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Well dang! Id rather spend about 450 on scorpion 1.7's, springs, guideplates and 700 on a NOS system vs. spendin 700 on machine work then another 650 on harland 1.8's, springs, guideplates! Lol and be about a sec and half faster! lol
Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95z28camaro
Well dang! Id rather spend about 450 on scorpion 1.7's, springs, guideplates and 700 on a NOS system vs. spendin 700 on machine work then another 650 on harland 1.8's, springs, guideplates! Lol and be about a sec and half faster! lol
OK so I just had a REALLY stupid epiphany... What if you took out the rollers in the tips, and replaced them with a larger around roller... Wouldn't that then increase the rocker's ratio? >_> Having new roller tips machined wouldn't cost all that much I wouldn't think. Just having a long piece of hardened steel milled down, then cut into the right length and finally having small holes drilled for the pin to go through. And I guess depending on the brand of rockers, a little bit of clearancing at the tip. Pro-Mags probably wouldn't need it, but Crane Golds would.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
OK so I just had a REALLY stupid epiphany... What if you took out the rollers in the tips, and replaced them with a larger around roller... Wouldn't that then increase the rocker's ratio? >_> Having new roller tips machined wouldn't cost all that much I wouldn't think. Just having a long piece of hardened steel milled down, then cut into the right length and finally having small holes drilled for the pin to go through. And I guess depending on the brand of rockers, a little bit of clearancing at the tip. Pro-Mags probably wouldn't need it, but Crane Golds would.
I dont think that would do anything due to the fact if you put just a bigger roller then ya it would open farther but the valve wouldnt close all the way. And to compensate for that youu would have to put a shorter pushrod which would put you back were you began. I may be wrong so someone please correct me. But here is how ratio is determined :

Cant find any side by side comparison of stock ls1 vs lt1 though
Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula350
lol Probably $700 due to shops liking to charge for "having to buy the machine to do the job" and then "the knowledge of how to do it right" as well as time it takes
Dude we dont charge but 150 dollors to cut for guideplates and screwin studs. Taking a endmill and cutting the bosses down is mabey half of that labor. If someone is charging 700 dollors for not even realistically an hour of mill time then ahhhh u might wanna do a little shoppin around. Dangd if someone aint shovin a fat one up it with no lube if thats the case. Shouldnt cost no more than 150 to a customer to cut and install the bigserts. And before someone says i can buy a set of comp cams pro mags for that u need to take in to consideration the 100 dollors its gonna take to buy studs and quide plates. And then u still got a set of junk stock push rods. You can buy them rockers for a 100 bucks or less machine work for 150ish and pushrods and bigserts for under 200. Do the math.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude we dont charge but 150 dollors to cut for guideplates and screwin studs. Taking a endmill and cutting the bosses down is mabey half of that labor. If someone is charging 700 dollors for not even realistically an hour of mill time then ahhhh u might wanna do a little shoppin around. Dangd if someone aint shovin a fat one up it with no lube if thats the case. Shouldnt cost no more than 150 to a customer to cut and install the bigserts. And before someone says i can buy a set of comp cams pro mags for that u need to take in to consideration the 100 dollors its gonna take to buy studs and quide plates. And then u still got a set of junk stock push rods. You can buy them rockers for a 100 bucks or less machine work for 150ish and pushrods and bigserts for under 200. Do the math.
heh I was just guessing due to how many shops inflate the cost of work. Good to know it wouldn't cost all that much.

That pic didn't quite explain it well enough for me :\ I'm more of a visual learner, and since they used the same images for all 3 rockers, but inserted different numbers, I don't quite see where the ratio change occurs :\

And it's too bad there are only 1.6 for ours, pretty darn expensive though >_>
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Quick Reply: LS1 Rockers on LT1