Sponsored by:

Custom Vs. Off the shelf

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Vs. Off the shelf

Im sure this been beat on a million times, so this will make 1,000,001

My goals are simple cam only set up to kick the hell out of the car in the other lane. I dont feel I should bother with a custom grind, seems the heavy hitter off the shelf cams would easily suit my needs..would this be a true thought or.......????
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to "kick the crap out of the car in the other lane", you need to evaluate the whole package of your car, and not just the cam. Suspension, tires, gearing, weight, etc.

As for the cam, most of your off-shelf stuff work perfectly fine. LG and Futral Motorsports cams are the best ones I have luck with, for an off-shelf grind. They're off shelf grinds have a lot of R&D tied into them.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Im sure this been beat on a million times, so this will make 1,000,001

My goals are simple cam only set up to kick the hell out of the car in the other lane. I dont feel I should bother with a custom grind, seems the heavy hitter off the shelf cams would easily suit my needs..would this be a true thought or.......????
MS4 will do this
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

I do custom on just about everything.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
If you want to "kick the crap out of the car in the other lane", you need to evaluate the whole package of your car, and not just the cam. Suspension, tires, gearing, weight, etc.

As for the cam, most of your off-shelf stuff work perfectly fine. LG and Futral Motorsports cams are the best ones I have luck with, for an off-shelf grind. They're off shelf grinds have a lot of R&D tied into them.
Thats already taken care off, soon to be full suspension, full weight(dont want to strip it yet) and big ol M/Ts. Ill look into FM and LG though.

Thanks for the replies
Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
9 Second Club

Yhea man... you can do a huge off the shelf cam for sure (Ms4, Ms3, vengence cam's, the F series cam's, and alot more). And if i may suggest, the spare tire and jack is a weight reduction mod well worth it, especially on the track.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Thats already taken care off, soon to be full suspension, full weight(dont want to strip it yet) and big ol M/Ts. Ill look into FM and LG though.

Thanks for the replies
what size are these big ole mts...no reason to over tire a car...that is just more rotational weight you have to turn...

the whole setup is key, there is no magical cam but there is a big difference between a car properly setup and working together over one that just has a huge cam and nothing else working together...I love meeting these guys on the street, even with heads they see tail lights...

i say go custom because there is no increase in price and it will be matched perfectly with what you want and your goals are...

I am happy i went custom...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
Yhea man... you can do a huge off the shelf cam for sure (Ms4, Ms3, vengence cam's, the F series cam's, and alot more). And if i may suggest, the spare tire and jack is a weight reduction mod well worth it, especially on the track.
I replaced it with a bottle
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
what size are these big ole mts...no reason to over tire a car...that is just more rotational weight you have to turn...

the whole setup is key, there is no magical cam but there is a big difference between a car properly setup and working together over one that just has a huge cam and nothing else working together...I love meeting these guys on the street, even with heads they see tail lights...

i say go custom because there is no increase in price and it will be matched perfectly with what you want and your goals are...

I am happy i went custom...

I have to use 28in tires, 26s were perfect for motor, but they got beat like a red headed step child when I tried to spray the car off the line. But the 28s arent that bad on just motor, but Id imagine that will improve with the cam.

I understand what you mean by the customs are the way to go, but for my needs it seems the big off the shelf cams would work since i dont have a unique set up. But thats why I started this thread, as you said, a custom isnt any more expensive and even for an otherwise stock motor, if itll out perform an off the shelf I'll go that route.