Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

belt driven fuel pump pressure questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default belt driven fuel pump pressure questions.

first off is there any CONS to running higher fuel pressures?

I know are stock fueling system = 4bar/58psi and most injectors are rated at 3bar/43.5psi

if you were to run an aeromotive 1105 belt driven fuel pump and proper FPR are there any cons to running to much fuel pressure?

can the injectors handle that much pressure? (70psi)

so could you run 8 high impedance injectors (75's) but run them at the higher pressure to make up the flow? or does it not work this way at all?

if you can't tell I'm really confused about all of this.

Chad
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

You may cause the injectors to become static and hang open if you run too high pressure I believe. You are not required to run any "given" pressure.

When I had an aftermarket fuel system with adjustable regulator, I set my base pressure to 43psi and tuned for that. Just because factory pressure is ~58psi does not mean you can't run lower than that, you just have to tune for it. I would run lower than higher if it is an option, especially if your regulator is boost referenced.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
You may cause the injectors to become static and hang open if you run too high pressure I believe. You are not required to run any "given" pressure.

When I had an aftermarket fuel system with adjustable regulator, I set my base pressure to 43psi and tuned for that. Just because factory pressure is ~58psi does not mean you can't run lower than that, you just have to tune for it. I would run lower than higher if it is an option, especially if your regulator is boost referenced.
why run lower fuel pressure though? not doubting you just trying to understand the benefits?

so running to high of a pressure can cause the injectors to stick open...that'd be a bad day.

Chad
Old 12-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

The reason I lowered my base pressure was because I was running a boost referenced regulator. So if I was at a base of 58psi, and I hit 15psi of boost, then my fuel pressure would spike to 73psi and higher. This was excessive to me and risked locking up the injectors.

Most fuel injected cars run around 43psi, and that is the pressure most injectors are rated at.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the injectors have to open against the pressure, so high fuel pressure will prevent them from opening. Once you hit the threshold, the car just shuts off until the pressure drops.

As for pressure, it is harder for a pump to run high pressures, so it is advisable to start with the 3 or 4 bar setting.

If running high boost, & boost referencing your pressure, it is advisable to limit pressure to 70 or 75max. Above this pressure, many injectors do not operate well. Some do, some don't, depends on the brand.

If you have enough power to truely need the volume of a belt drive pump, then there is no reason to skimp on injector size, or even consider a high impedance set.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Actually the injectors have to open against the pressure, so high fuel pressure will prevent them from opening. Once you hit the threshold, the car just shuts off until the pressure drops.

As for pressure, it is harder for a pump to run high pressures, so it is advisable to start with the 3 or 4 bar setting.

If running high boost, & boost referencing your pressure, it is advisable to limit pressure to 70 or 75max. Above this pressure, many injectors do not operate well. Some do, some don't, depends on the brand.

If you have enough power to truely need the volume of a belt drive pump, then there is no reason to skimp on injector size, or even consider a high impedance set.
ah so they don't open period, gotcha.

harder for a belt driven setup?

only reason for the high imp. injectors is not quite yet ready to run a bs3 setup.

setup is going to be race/street (rarely) S91 ls2.

Chad
Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Lonnie!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The belt drive setup will be more than capable of providing the pressure, but the injectors may not open consistently at very high pressures.

Personally I would do what I had to do to use low impedance injectors if I was trying to build something with over 900rwhp.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

The belt drive setup will be more than capable of providing the pressure, but the injectors may not open consistently at very high pressures.

Personally I would do what I had to do to use low impedance injectors if I was trying to build something with over 900rwhp.
Gotcha. back to the drawing board for now then.

thanks lonnie.

Chad
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can set you up with a dual intank setup which will support over 1000rwhp & will be very easy to install.

Give me a call & I can set you up with the stuff you need.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

I can set you up with a dual intank setup which will support over 1000rwhp & will be very easy to install.

Give me a call & I can set you up with the stuff you need.
thanks I'll definitely be calling you when the time comes...just building on paper for now. next spring the wheels will start rolling on the build.

now to find out more about BS3....

Chad
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a true statement, if you are running boost and a boost reference FPR, the injector only see's the base pressure differential pressure. If you are running 58psi base and add 20# of boost the fuel pressure increases to 78#, the injector still acts exactly like it was at 58#. Because the difference between the inlet and outlet pressure is still the same...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
thanks I'll definitely be calling you when the time comes...just building on paper for now. next spring the wheels will start rolling on the build.

now to find out more about BS3....

Chad
You don't need a BS3 to run low impedance injectors, the stock ecm can run them with a cheap($250-$400) converter box. AEM makes one as well as Acceleronics.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get low imp injectors and an injector box.... Why is everyone affraid of doing that. I am going to be running 120's with the AEM Box.

Quick Reply: belt driven fuel pump pressure questions.