LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

advice junkie

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advice junkie

Hey i was wondering if rollor rockers would be something good to throw on a stock engine. I was going to do a cam swap and ended up not having the money so i have some comp cams 1.6 rollors just sitting here and the motor is coming out this weekend. I can't just use them on my stock setup can I? I know the stockers are 1.5 so what would i need to use the 1.6 rockers? springs? pushrods? both? advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!
Also, is it a good idea to rebuild a stock opti with the msd kit?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

yea u can put the 1.6rr on with no problem. if the motor has alot of miles i would change the springs to be safe. but they are alot of ppl using stock springs.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Full roller rockers are good for a little HP. I would not even think about doint 1.6 rockers without changing springs, though. Taking old, tired springs and asking them to do even more is not something I would want to risk. Break a spring, drop a valve, ruin an engine. Is it worth it?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

ok so what kind of springs would you reccomend? Do i need new retainers and keepers?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the MSD opti unit w/ no issues. Are the 1.6 rockers "self aligning" rockers? If so, you will no longer need guide plates. I would look into some Comp Cam Valve springs, retainers, and locks/shims. I would swap the factory lifters to some LS7 lifters as well. Pushrods, I would get some Trickflows. Comp cam makes a tool to measure the correct length of pushrod you will need for your application..don't just guess on a size.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have the comp cams pro mag rockers. So no theyr not self aligning but I already have guideplates. I am really bummed, I was gunna do the heads and evrything from either AI or LE. Now i will be lucky to throw a cam in while the engine is out.

Ok so my question is, will the money i have to spend be worth the gains i will see with just the rr's? Or should i just keep the parts for when i can do a complete cam swap? Also, if i do a complete cam swap, what kind of money am i looking at (not counting the rockers and guideplates)? I was gunna do the LE cam you reccomended.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I have the comp cams pro mag rockers. So no theyr not self aligning but I already have guideplates. I am really bummed, I was gunna do the heads and evrything from either AI or LE. Now i will be lucky to throw a cam in while the engine is out.

Ok so my question is, will the money i have to spend be worth the gains i will see with just the rr's? Or should i just keep the parts for when i can do a complete cam swap? Also, if i do a complete cam swap, what kind of money am i looking at (not counting the rockers and guideplates)? I was gunna do the LE cam you reccomended.
Save everything for when you do the swap. When you say complete swap are you talking about doing the heads and cam or just the cam?
Cam swap only you would be looking at $300 for a Lloyd cam. Heads, kinda depends on which heads of his you want. LE1 heads, LE2, LE3 ...
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you plan to do a cam swap, wait and do it all at once. That way you can buy springs that are recommended to go with your cam and be assured all will "play well together".
Or, if you have the cam picked out, get the springs/retainers/locks that will work with it and do the cam later.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

As of right now, I don't know when ill be able to do the heads. When i am asble to do the heads i will do the LE2 setup so itll have its own cam. So if i could just do a complete cam swap I would. But i need the cam, lifters, springs and spring parts, and pushrods. Since i have the rockers already, what do you think i could do the cam swap for, with the LE cam

I think this makes sence
Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

As of right now, I don't know when ill be able to do the heads. When i am asble to do the heads i will do the LE2 setup so itll have its own cam. So if i could just do a complete cam swap I would. But i need the cam, lifters, springs and spring parts, and pushrods. Since i have the rockers already, what do you think i could do the cam swap for, with the LE cam

I think this makes sence
It kinda makes sense...lol

Lloyds sells the heads and cams separate from one another or as a complete package..you just need to figure out what cam you are wanting to run and then pick out what heads.

To swap in a Lloyd cam along with the small parts to go along with it I would say it would run you in the ballpark of 500-600 bucks. I would change out the timing chain with a new one and maybe even a new opti unti depending on how old the one you got right now is.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned

First things first...what modifications are done to the car?? Should have asked this in the beginning since you don't have anything listed in your SIG.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah lol, iv got so many ideas and dissapointments flying through my head lately its hard to get it to come out right.
I was going to to the LE2 heads/cam package at first. I then decided to do the A! 190cc heads/cam package. I now am in a financial pinch, but i have to pull the motor for a pan and fron cover gasket. So right now im looking at doing a water pump, msd opti rebuild, timing cain, pcmforless tune, already have cai, longtubes, plugs, wires, injectors, and maby a clutch. So a cam swap would definately be sweet to go with the tune, headers and cai but im not sure ill have the dough. I think ill just pull the motor and wait till tax returns lol.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

all i have done are k&n cai and gutted cat, and I only gutted the cat because the brick broke in two and was rattling like crazy.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

all i have done are k&n cai and gutted cat, and I only gutted the cat because the brick broke in two and was rattling like crazy.
Ok ok...you need to get your basic bolt on's taken care of first before you start thinking of slapping in a Lloyd package..

LT headers and Exhaust system would be a good start. Maybe some Gears too.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah im pulling the motor this weekend and doing all those mods now, thats y i want to do a cam at the same time.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Yeah lol, iv got so many ideas and dissapointments flying through my head lately its hard to get it to come out right.
I was going to to the LE2 heads/cam package at first. I then decided to do the A! 190cc heads/cam package. I now am in a financial pinch, but i have to pull the motor for a pan and fron cover gasket. So right now im looking at doing a water pump, msd opti rebuild, timing cain, pcmforless tune, already have cai, longtubes, plugs, wires, injectors, and maby a clutch. So a cam swap would definately be sweet to go with the tune, headers and cai but im not sure ill have the dough. I think ill just pull the motor and wait till tax returns lol.
Sorry I overlooked this post

LE2 heads would be a good choice in case you decide to build it bigger in the future. Do you have emissions testing where you live?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

nope, no emissions. So if i just did the bolt ons, pcm tune, and the cam, what kind of numbers do you think i could see?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

nope, no emissions. So if i just did the bolt ons, pcm tune, and the cam, what kind of numbers do you think i could see?
A4 or M6?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

1993 TA t-56
Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned

Also need to know what cam you are looking at...specs..

Search this Thread