Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Tranny/Speed Sensor Wiring ISSUE..Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny/Speed Sensor Wiring ISSUE..Please Help!

All,

I posted a similar question couple of weeks ago but without knowing the full issue and history so here I am asking the Gurus once again for some advice/tips:

01 Formula Firebird, 85K Miles. Transmission rebuilt about 1 month ago (Before I bought the car), new VSS. I spoke to the tranny shop that did the job and the 1st thing they did was replace the VSS, however, they did say they ran 2 new wires from the VSS to the ECM/PCM but did NOT remove the old wires..Hmm..then rebuilt the tranny. My thinking is a wire/ground SOMEWHERE in the original VSS wiring line or at the 80-pin connector to the ECM/PCM?? The tech stated that this same problem below happened to them as well and it seemed when some stress is placed on the engine/trans it seems to repeat the issue. I am taking it back to them next week (They said no charge) to troubleshoot. Here is the current diagnosis:

When engine/trans is COLD - Put into drive and it does NOT want to get above 2nd gear and the speedo is jumping around, this happens until the engine reaches normal operating temp.

Start the car and let it warm up to normal operating temp - Seems to drive/shift just fine. I went on a 90 mile round trip yesterday (80% Interstate) no issues UNTIL I stopped for a bite and when I pulled out had to open her up a bit to accelerate into traffic then it did the same thing..did not want to go above 2nd gear/speedo jumping. Then I let off the accelerator..let it coast some then gently hit the gas..she did just fine the next 10 miles to the house.

Also..when she is cruising I get a fairly high pitched "whine"/Noise seems to come from the rear at around 55-65..only when constant accelerating..I let off the gas at the same speed, noise goes away. After I hit 70+ the noise is barely noticeable

Your extensive wisdom and advice or just plain old .02 is appreciated
Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM

TTT..Bueler Bueler??
Old 12-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Another Bump....
Old 12-25-2008, 10:58 PM

Cool BumpoRama

Another TTT...What is it the holidays or something? LOL
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can use a meter to check the vss output. If the frequency jumps around I would pull the sensor and check for a loose tone ring on the outputshaft.

Quick Reply: Tranny/Speed Sensor Wiring ISSUE..Please Help!