Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

projector project

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default projector project

i got my tsx projectors and want to install them in my ebay projectors,when i opened them up this is what it look like

the middle pic is the actual "projector"i guess.the tsx projectors wont fit in their as is so i have two options
1)cut the housing to fit the projectors or
2)replace the ebay projector lenses with the tsx lenses.
but can i just witch the lenses out and they work fine,thats the question?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you decide to get a TSX projector? Couldnt you have just gotten an aftermarket HID kit with the correct bulb size for the ebay projectors? Or am i missing something?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Why did you decide to get a TSX projector? Couldnt you have just gotten an aftermarket HID kit with the correct bulb size for the ebay projectors? Or am i missing something?
because i was going to retrofit the tsx projectors in my stock headlight housing,but said **** it why not try to switch out the ebay projectors and if that dont work then i'll retrofit in stock housing
Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would cut the ebay housings to fit the TSX projectors. I'm sure they are much better than the halogen projector in there.

FYI...true HID projectors have a much better beam spread than a halogen projector with a HID drop in kit.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I would cut the ebay housings to fit the TSX projectors. I'm sure they are much better than the halogen projector in there.

FYI...true HID projectors have a much better beam spread than a halogen projector with a HID drop in kit.
guess im kinda a NOOB. i always thought the projector was the same whether it was halogen or xenon. So if i were to buy a car that had projectors with halogens, and swapped out the halogens with an aftermarket HID bulb kit, it would not be as good/bright as if I had bought the car with HIDs. correct?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

guess im kinda a NOOB. i always thought the projector was the same whether it was halogen or xenon.
Nope. They are designed differently to differently handle the output of the light source (halogen bulb versus HID capsule). Halogen projectors produce a narrower beam because a halogen bulb doesn't output as much light as a HID capsule.
So if i were to buy a car that had projectors with halogens, and swapped out the halogens with an aftermarket HID bulb kit, it would not be as good/bright as if I had bought the car with HIDs. correct
Some projectors can handle HID fairly well. They are typically H7 projectors (but not all). Either way, a HID projector will always have better output (brighter, wider, more uniform beam) than a Halogen projector with a HID kit.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

98MNBZ28 and I have passed back and forth some PMs about this thread. Here is some of that interaction.

Originally Posted by 98MNBZ28
i have a question for you since your the light guru.i got my tsx projectors and want to install them in my ebay projectors,when i opened them up this is what it look like
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16001.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16002.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16003.jpg
the middle pic is the actual "projector"i guess.
No, that is just the lens. Can you take a pic of the housing with the lens removed?

the tsx projectors wont fit in their as it is so i have two options
1)cut the housing to fit the projectors or
2)replace the ebay projector lenses with the tsx lenses.
but can i just witch the lenses out and they work fine,thats the question?
Can you break down the housing further? Can the rear half of the projector be removed? If not, you'll have to cut it out. You can't mix parts. You need to use the entire TSX projector (bowl & lens).

here are some pics of the housing from the ebay projectors, they came out a little blurry but basically its just reflective material similar to the tsx projector bowl,tahst why i was curious if i can just switch the lens
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16004.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16005.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16006.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16007.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/aug16008.jpg
That bowl doesn't look removable. I guess you'll have to cut it out.

Checkout http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ for some great information on retrofits.

The reason you can't just swap the lens is because the bowl of that projector and the TSX projector are different. A projector is comprised of three main components: 1.) reflector bowl, 2.) cut-off shield, 3.) lens. The three are designed and fitted to work together.

There are some modifications you can do to projectors that involve swapping/modifying parts (usually making a custom cut-off shield or swapping a clear lens in place of a "frosted" lens or spacing the lens). Each of the modifications I hinted at are intended to alter the output of a projector for more color, sharper cut-off, etc. They are not a retrofit. A retrofit involves swapping the entire projector. In this instance, just swapping the lens would probably give you something worse than what you started with.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribing . . I have the ebay projectors, might do the same if it all works out.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have those ebay projectors too and I have noticed with the HIDs the beam pattern is rather narrow, and I found when I was driving through some really heavy snow that I missed my old stockers with halogen bulbs because of it. But so far I only have missed the stockers during that snowstorm
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Any update?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is an interesting thread. I started a thread in my local section about some that im making using C6 projectors in a stock headlight. some of my info might be helpful.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...ave-again.html

for the headlamp part i cut out the mount from the C6 and grafted it into the Camaro headlight. the high beams projector i was able to screw straight into the Camaro headlight, then seal it in. it all fits behind the lens no problem.

EDIT: I do agree that you cant just swap around parts. the main reason why you need to use the entire assembly is that the distance between the light source and the lens is crucial to getting the right cutoff and effect. the arc of the lens is designed with that distance in mind, and of course, the "bowl" is also angled with the distance in mind.

EDIT II: Ill also add that the C6 projector is the shallowest ive seen. it fits really well into the camaro housing. you might want to try and get a set to fool around with.

Last edited by fast01z28; 02-04-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thanks for posting. I've added this thread and yours to the Lighting FAQ. You mentioned an earlier setup. Did you post a thread on that as well?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that ebay housing is very very shallow before it has to go back out of the lense

from what i comprehend, the projectors are basically like a mag light. the hid housings that come on hid cars are more focused at spreading the light than the randomly assembled ebay projectors. so instead of a wide beam of light the tsx's focus them where you actually want the light to be, kind of like focusing the beam on a mag light

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-04-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

um... not quite.

Halogen projectors have a narrower beam with more centralized light because halogen bulbs don't produce as much light.

HID projectors produce a wider more uniform beam because a HID capsule produces more light.

Therefore TSX HID projectors will produce a wider, brighter, more uniform beam than those ebay Halogen projectors.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
Any update?
i gave up on it. just lost interest in the project
Old 02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
Thanks for posting. I've added this thread and yours to the Lighting FAQ. You mentioned an earlier setup. Did you post a thread on that as well?
my previous project was on a different car. It was for my Grand am. that one didnt turn out as well as this one is. BTW ive updated my thread with new pics. almost done with one side.

i gave up on it. just lost interest in the project
dont give up. maybe my thread will give you inspiration. I am willing to help you out if you do regain interest. I just dont/didnt think that the ebay projector headlights were a good headlight to base the project off of.

Quick Reply: projector project