Sponsored by:

No Start, security and red light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No Start, security and red light flashing

Hello,

I changed the steering column in my 01 TA from a 00 Camaro. The TA is a 6 speed and the camaro was an Auto. I do not think there would be a difference in column's, other then the Park Brake Release cable ? Or are the ING switches different?

The 2 small white wires (I assume for the Ing Key sensor) were ripped out by accident.

If the Key lock is disabled in the Tune, do these two small wires need to be connected?

In the Tune, both VATS and ING Key Lock are disabled, yet no start and Security in the dash flashes and the red light on top of the dash flashes.

Any Ideas ?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think you can completely tune out VATS with a tune. Measure the resistance of the old key pelet and do a VATS bypass.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Bypass

VATS Bypass? How is that done ?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Key resistance diff !

The Keys have a different amount of resistance. I stuff the old key in and with the ING switch hanging down, I can START THE CAR !

How can I get around this without taking the steering column apart and changing the lock cyl? I do not see anything in HP Tuners about changing values, just disable VATS n Key Lock...

I guess I could find me a resistor with this value and hide me a toggle switch under the dash as an extra security device ? Just gonna be a driver, on nice days....
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Key resistance diff !

2001NBMZ28 You made a great point. I measured the two keys and the one in the new steering column has about 1.2 meg of resis. The original key has 520 ohms.

I can stuff the original key in the ing and with the ING switch hanging down, I can take a small screwdriver to move the slider in the ING Switch and the car will start !

Can I obtain a key with this amount of resistance to fit the lock cyl in the other colum?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess you could get a key cut to the new cyl, with the old resistance value. Hang on and I'll PM you a couple links on the key resistance values and how to bypass VATS.

Quick Reply: No Start, security and red light flashing