Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird 02 Mounting Holes Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird 02 Mounting Holes Damaged

Recently some "jackhole" broke into my ride and ripped out my head unit. While ripping out my HU, the "jackhole" broke the plastic "shelf" which seems to functions as some sort of support for the HU before securing it down with the side brackets. I found this "shelf" laying on the seat in several pieces. To make matters worst, the mounting holes for the side brackets on the right side are gone and when I mean gone I broken off. Feeling inside behind the opening to where my HU was, I don't see anyway of replace this section. It appears that the mounting holes are part of a major section of the dash itsefl. I don't see a way to mount a replacement HU to the opening when the bracket holes on one side are no longer there? Can someone tell me if I'm just getting worked up over nothing or do I have some major concerns?

Here is a picture of my HU before the horror:

Here are the pictures of the damage; you can see where the holes where the mounting brackets bolt on to on the right side are missing "broken off".

This image show a piece of the "shelf", or what's left of it, laying on my seat along with the bezel and the "jackholes" screw driver or "quick removal tool".

Finally this image shows what the "jackhole" did to my carpet; I assume that the "jackhole" was trying to find out where the "brain unit" was. Frustrated he ripped up my carpet trying to find it.

I feel horrible; my baby has been voilated! It's a terrible feeling but I am trying to get over it and start the healing process? I bought a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT to replace my old HU and hopefully can get one of those modified double din bezels from KeeAudio, but without something to bolt onto, I don't see how I'm going to be able to install it.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Ouch, he must have been really pissed off and in a hurry to tear apart the carpet like that not so easy to do.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry to hear that.... hope u can find the *******.....
Old 12-24-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

He left what he used to get the HU out? mebe you can try to get prints on it or something, dono
Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, apparently the douchebag isn't too familiar with f-bodies.. He probably thought the passenger side hump was the brain unit.. As for your dash, i'm sure there's some way to fix it...
Old 12-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
He left what he used to get the HU out? mebe you can try to get prints on it or something, dono
That's what I said to the police officer; she just looked at me like I was crazy for even asking and told me "We're not going to be able to get any prints".

Our tax dollars hard at work!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaywalker
That's what I said to the police officer; she just looked at me like I was crazy for even asking and told me "We're not going to be able to get any prints".

Our tax dollars hard at work!
where do you live?

i had my truck broke into. got about 250cd's and my headunit and about 3 grand cash (i was on my way to pickup my 355 shortblock). he didnt find my pistol under the seat.

but the cops had my vehicle for 2 days finding prints. they found the guy and asked if i wanted to press charges i said no i just wanted my stuff back plus 500 for the window and the cost to have my truck fully detailed. The guy told them where everything was, i got it all back then the state pressed charges. hes doing 2 years
Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I live in Fort Worth Texas, but when I called the police to come out, the operator said that they have been checking out reports of car break-ins all morning and it would be awhile before a police office would arrive.

About 4 hours later an office came out and immediately started questioning me as if I had done something wrong! She finally got around to asking me what was stolen and what time did I notice someone had broken into my vehicle. I told her that I didn't want to put my finger prints all over the car so I wasn't sure if the "jackhole" took my "brain units" for the navigation, tv tuner, xm radio, backup camera module and ipod cable.

That's when she told me that go ahead an check to see if any other units were missing because they wouldn't be able to get any prints off the vehicle or screw driver laying in my seat. Apparently if there isn't a dead body or blood to go with the crime scene, then it isn't important enough for prints; gave me a card with the police report number on it and told me to give it to the insurance company and then walked back to her car and took off!

You got to love the Fort Worth Police Department. I feel so warm inside knowing how much they care.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

you should have cut your self on one of the sharp edges and be like, here look
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

that sucks but at least he didn't jam the screwdriver through the seat out of frustration.