Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide between 3 cams; HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can't decide between 3 cams; HELP!

I'm looking at either picking up a
Torquer v2 112 or 113lsa,
Torquer v3, or
G5x1 cam
for my 02ss. My current mods are lt,ory,lm2, volant cai. car came with an slp maf and I don't have the stock one so i'm going to assume that hinders performance. before headers car dynoed 317/332. My goals are an 11 second pass cam only, but since im still on the stock rear end I realize I might be jeopardizing myself. I'm not too worried about HP/TQ numbers, but breaking 400 would be nice

Now I was wondering if anybody had experience or recommendations out of these three cams? I believe that they will be streetable enough for my use of the car (going out on weekends or with ladies ). If I go with the Torquer v2, which lsa should be chosen 112 or 113?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say torquer v3 and here is y:

"The problem with camshafts is that they're completely subjective. What one thinks is perfect another thinks is too big, too small, too much, not enough, etc. Below are the specs on both camshafts:

Torquer v.2: 232/234, .595"/.598", 112 or 113 LSA standard
Torquer v.3: 231/234, .643"/.598", 111 LSA standard

There were a few goals in designing the T3 cam:

1. better low-end and mid-range compared to the T2
2. more aggressive ramp rate on the intake for better power
3. all around great street/strip cam that is very driveable with a good tune

As you can see, the T3 does have one less degree of duration @ .050" on the intake. It's a more aggressive lobe that ramps up faster vs. the lobe on the T2. It provides greater net lift and allows for quicker opening and closing of the intake valve. Again, whether or not a cam works great in the mid-range is dependent on what you're comparing it to. A smaller cam like our 224R or 228R will provide you with a little more low-end power, but it won't make as much peak power. The T2 camshaft was designed to give customers the ability to make some great power without going too big on cam and without feeling like they didn't go big enough. The T3 was just a revision of the T2. With all other variables of a camshaft held constant, a tighter (i.e. lower numerically) LSA with added advance will help low-end and mid-range power. You can change just these two aspects and completely change the characteristics of how well a camshaft works. The goal is to find the happy medium where the cam works well and makes great power without falling off too quick up top or completely lacking any oomph down low. Some of these issues cannot be 100% solved with adjusting LSA and ICL. A lot of duration relative to the size of the engine is still going to have certain characteristics that go along with it, no matter the LSA or ICL.

The net result is that the T2 and T3 will make comparable power. The T3 is going to provide you with a little more low-end and mid-range power vs. the T2, and it also gives you the capability to use a little more of the flow potential of a good set of ported heads.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance"
Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm now I see your a Texas-Speed representative so you can't help me out with a comparisson between the Torquer 3 and G5x1 could you?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
i say torquer v3 and here is y:

"The problem with camshafts is that they're completely subjective. What one thinks is perfect another thinks is too big, too small, too much, not enough, etc. Below are the specs on both camshafts:

Torquer v.2: 232/234, .595"/.598", 112 or 113 LSA standard
Torquer v.3: 231/234, .643"/.598", 111 LSA standard

There were a few goals in designing the T3 cam:

1. better low-end and mid-range compared to the T2
2. more aggressive ramp rate on the intake for better power
3. all around great street/strip cam that is very driveable with a good tune

As you can see, the T3 does have one less degree of duration @ .050" on the intake. It's a more aggressive lobe that ramps up faster vs. the lobe on the T2. It provides greater net lift and allows for quicker opening and closing of the intake valve. Again, whether or not a cam works great in the mid-range is dependent on what you're comparing it to. A smaller cam like our 224R or 228R will provide you with a little more low-end power, but it won't make as much peak power. The T2 camshaft was designed to give customers the ability to make some great power without going too big on cam and without feeling like they didn't go big enough. The T3 was just a revision of the T2. With all other variables of a camshaft held constant, a tighter (i.e. lower numerically) LSA with added advance will help low-end and mid-range power. You can change just these two aspects and completely change the characteristics of how well a camshaft works. The goal is to find the happy medium where the cam works well and makes great power without falling off too quick up top or completely lacking any oomph down low. Some of these issues cannot be 100% solved with adjusting LSA and ICL. A lot of duration relative to the size of the engine is still going to have certain characteristics that go along with it, no matter the LSA or ICL.

The net result is that the T2 and T3 will make comparable power. The T3 is going to provide you with a little more low-end and mid-range power vs. the T2, and it also gives you the capability to use a little more of the flow potential of a good set of ported heads.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance"
great advide from someone who doesn't even have a cam! do u post this on every cam thread? seems like it
Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes its really good info i was going to ask the same question and alot of people just ask instead of doing a search so i figure i will help them out on those 2 cams. and every time i post it there like thx very good info!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

V3 and calm down he was just trying to help the man.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say go with the g5x1 on a 112lsa good strong cam