Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good price on machine work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good price on machine work?

Ive been calling around all day, and not many people in my area wanna hone .005" on my LS1. But i found one that says he will clean up the block for $40, and hone it for $35?
Is that a decent price, or is that kinda low-meaning the quality will be low also?

Is there anything else i need a machine shop to do, when i bring them a bare block? Im just doing a minimum rebuild on this motor, since i found out im too poor to get a shop to build it for me. :p
Old 09-29-2003, 05:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: good price on machine work?

That seems low for the honing! Make sure you are getting someone reputable - if the machine work is bad, you can kiss the whole thing goodbye - you will have nothing but trouble if it is not right.

I would dig more - even if you have to take it a couple of hundred miles, it would be worth it. Find a race car shop or builder - they always know who is good.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Ask them if they use a torque plate during honing. Or if they even have one for an LS1. If they dont then steer clear. You should contact someone that understands LS1's. They might want to align hone and deck it also. Check your cam bearings too.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the advice guys, im gonna try some of the local Fbody sites, if they can recommend someone