Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best spring for daily driver on pretty much crap NC roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best spring for daily driver on pretty much crap NC roads

Well, I'm not thrilled with my LT1 Eibach prokits. I have Koni SA's on the front and KYB AGX's in the rear. I'm looking for a spring that is more compliant on our **** poor rough roads here in North Carolina. To think we pay extra taxes for our road maintenance. I will never autox the car and drag race from time to time. They seemed ok on my 95 Z with stock decarbons, but not on this car.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Try running stock springs with the Koni SA's.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just happened to notice you live in Fuquay as well... I live less than five minutes from the walmart and ****, down by sunset lake road. Maybe you've seen me out there, loud *** silver 02 camaro with black rims. I do have to agree with you though, NC does have some pretty terrible roads. Holly Springs road is one of the worst around here.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Try running stock springs with the Koni SA's.
+1

or at least stock rear springs with the hose mod Whilst retaining the Eibach fronts. Several around here have done this and have fared quite well.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

I definitely thought about going back to stock springs, but good lord, I hate the 4x4 look. Yea, Sunset Lake and Kildaire Farms Rd are setting new standards for logging companies to strive for.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have Koni SA's on the front, then stock springs can be lowered approx. 1/2 inches from stock ride height through the lower spring perch setting.

For the rears regardless of what shocks are presents, the isolators can be removed and the "heater hose mod" can be used instead. this will yield approx. a 3/4 inch lowering on each rear wheel.

still not as Eibach low, however it shouldn't be the 4x4 look.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

I have Granatelli lowering springs on my DD ride good for a lowered car...
Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

North Carolina has some of the best roads, You should go up north and see those roads, Good Lord, Im bout an hour away from Fuquay around pinehurst
Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Launching!

You must do alot of driving out by Linden.... nothing like a pothole followed by a tree root popping thru the asphalt in a hard curve with no bank..
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Been there, lived in Wilmington DE for two years. Stationed in Philly. They had regular snowy frozen winters too, which we hardly ever see and we pay extra taxes for road use and maintenance. I don't mean to act like they are the worst roads ever, just illustrating what I'm trying to deal with.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

yeah they **** me off two, around here their are some bad ones also
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

guys im not sure where in nc you live but i think nc has some great roads, im from new jersey and because of the salt in the winter and dramatic temp changes we get the roads are pure ***. I have strano springs on the way
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha try living up in Indiana and you will see how bad the roads get...

I'm curious to hear what people say because I really like the ride of my stock springs, but I want to lower the car for apperance purposes but don't want a horrible ride.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I put the stock springs on today while at work. Dropped the front perch, heater hose modded the rears. My goodness does it drive nice now!!! If I could find a spring that would lower the car a little lower than it is now and be able to deal with harsh road impacts and bumps good, I'd buy them. I realize when you reduce spring height, you must increase spring rate, so I wonder if there are such springs? I know many love Stranos, but the LT1 Prokits were his 2nd choice and I didn't dig those.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

If there's one thing I don't like about the Eibach "replacement" springs is in their engineering. Whilst Eibach can make decent products, I've found the springs for the F-body undesirable for what I wanted.

Whilst I could be one to be particular, for performance reasons alone, I've discovered through trial and error that having linear rates of 500 lbs./in. front and 150lbs./in. rear with around -1" to -1.5" lowering heights all around are most ideal for a near factory weighted 4th-gen F-body. I've also discovered that these rates are very ideal on not so smoothly paved roads, however YMMV. I should also stress that this means very little without the optimal rebound and compression damper valving to combine with (something I had real problems with the AGX's, especially on the rear).

Since you've talked to Sam, I'd talk to him again and see what he suggests with his springs.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eibach are the worst springs. Pure ****. The rates are crazy and so mismatched.

Wonder why your so happy now that they are gone?

I ordered a set of strano's recently and have had koni 4/4's for quite some time. I love the koni's, rides just as well as stock with twice the handling.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

My last 99 Z28 drove fantastic on Hypercoils and decarbons. My best friend in Georgia bought them on my recommendation and drove on them for years and still swears by them today. My issue other than roads is the lack of clearance with my driver side cat. I couldn't even jack the rear up at home with my "low" profile cheap jack.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I live in New Orleans and you havent seen effed up streets until you have seen these. I just ordered Koni's and Sam springs, to N.O proof my cars suspension.

Quick Reply: Best spring for daily driver on pretty much crap NC roads