Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Sandblasting wheels with tires on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandblasting wheels with tires on?

I wasn't sure where to post this, so i just went here. Tried a search too. I'm planning on repainting my 10 spokes over break, and have access to a sand blaster for free. I was either going to blast the wheels first, or use aircraft paint remover from Autozone. So my question is can i do either of these with the tires on? I really don't want to have the tires unmounted just because of the hassle. I'm not sure if its even a good idea to blast wheels either. I'm pretty sure i'll have to just use silica sand to keep it free too, it would cost me to use walnut shells or something similar.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt that having the tires in place will hurt the tires....BUT you won't be able to strip ALL of the old finish off around to the beads, due to the tire being in the way. Then you wont be able to completely paint the wheel for the sme reason.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend using sand on an aluminum wheel, as sand is pretty aggressive for a soft metal. But, if you are intent to do it, because of budgetary constraints, make sure to use a GOOD dust filter/mask. Silicosis is the unwanted medical condition that you get from breathing in sand dust. It's not pretty....
Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A typical hand held syphon type sand blaster will not typically hurt the tires. An industrial pressure type can blemish the finish of the rubber.

For wheels use a fine silica sand so it does not texture the metal.

An easy way is to get a piece of plywood & cut a hole in it the size of the the wheel. This way it covers the tire when you blast & can also be used to cover the tire when you paint.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I wont be blasting them if i even do blast them. But i know the guy uses a suit and mask. They'd basically go on an assembly line with some other stuff. Last i knew he was using fine silica for his rocks (its a lettered limestone rock business).
Old 12-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Restricted User

Damn good idea with the ply wood. I wouldn't have thought of that!

Quick Reply: Sandblasting wheels with tires on?