Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polished or chromed calipers? Who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Polished or chromed calipers? Who's done it?

Hey guys, I was going to just have my calipers/brackets powdercoated on the car but the car is Monterey Maroon Metallic and I think that polishing the calipers would look great with a black powdercoated bracket. Has anyone done it or have any info on it?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have them powder coated that extreme chrome color. It looks pretty close to chrome and will be really easy to maintain.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember seeing someone on here who polished them. Looked good. If you have chrome wheels then too much shine imo but with black or gun metal it would look awesome.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chrome looking powder coat doesn't hold up very well... you are better off to polish them if you really want to do it.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I followed this write-up for polishing my calipers.

http://formula.bambeezer.com/calipers.htm
Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
The chrome looking powder coat doesn't hold up very well... you are better off to polish them if you really want to do it.
Incorrect. Chrome powder holds up just as well as any other powder as long as you clear coat it. That's why all powder manufacturers say you must clear their chrome. It does dull it out though, which is the price you pay for the durability factor.

98redbird--i can polish the calipers and powdercoat the brackets in black for you, PM me if you would like to talk about it. They would look the same as any of my other polishing work, its not a problem.

I can also clearcoat them after I polish them using an acrylic clear powder meant specifically for clearing over polished aluminum, you'll never know its there and you won't have to keep polishing them to maintain them

some recent polishing work for LS1tech members

Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Incorrect. Chrome powder holds up just as well as any other powder as long as you clear coat it. That's why all powder manufacturers say you must clear their chrome. It does dull it out though, which is the price you pay for the durability factor.

98redbird--i can polish the calipers and powdercoat the brackets in black for you, PM me if you would like to talk about it. They would look the same as any of my other polishing work, its not a problem.

I can also clearcoat them after I polish them using an acrylic clear powder meant specifically for clearing over polished aluminum, you'll never know its there and you won't have to keep polishing them to maintain them

Yeah... you have to clear it and it no longer looks anything like "chrome".... unless you clear it it DOESN'T HOLD UP
Old 12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Motorboater

maybe next time state what you wanted to say properly from the start, rather than roll your eyes when someone corrects what you say? I sell alot of the chrome powder to people on here, pardon if I didn't want wrong statements for folks to see.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Just making sure people dont think they can get a powder coat that looks chrome that will hold up.

Once you clear it, it just looks silver.

Nothing i said was false... it wont hold up... you have to clear it to get it to hold up... and then it looks nothing like chrome.

Sorry if that rained on your parade...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

Awesome, thanks bro. I'll shoot ya a PM right now.

Thanks