Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI opinions for NA guy (long thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FI opinions for NA guy (long thread)

I know there's a ton of posts on here about "what kit should i go with?" crap all day. That's not what I'm really in here for.

I have one full bolt on car and one that's close to full bolt on and I'm coming to the point where stuff gets more and more expensive. Orig the plan was to progress into the normal cam/tune setup and later on when the $ falls out of the sky, heads. However...

As of late alot (i mean ALOT) of the f-bod guys i know have sent their cars off to TSP and had various H/C or just cammed setups done and all are fast and sound awesome but that's just the problem. MS3/4/T-Rex/Hotcam/408 on,and on, and on they're all the same to someone who dosent drive it. There's so many i feel like once i get to that point myself ill just be one of the (NOW) dozens of 600lift f-bods growlin around. What im gettin at long winded like is that i feel its no longer original enough to be the guy with the loud cammed f-bod. Its hard to stand out when the 2 TA's on one side of ya and the SS on the other lope just as hard and crackle just as loud.

I wanna go fast for a reasonable price, and running solid is important but i also wanna have SOME degree of originality. Around here spray is kinda viewed more like cheating and FI like something exotic. Hero/Villain sorta thing ya know? Plus I hate that spray cant safely have an optimal NA tune, and i don't necessarily wanna hit it every race! Maintaining proper bottle pressure is a bitch, refilling bottles sucks etc. etc.

My standing opinion of FI was "too cool, but too expensive, and complex to make run properly on anything this side of a big budget". Heat issues suck too but no pain no gain i guess.

This being said ive recently come across several different FI kits i have some interest in, mainly due to initial price more than anything. Procharger, Magnacharger (one whine id gladly listen to all day), Powerdine, & Vortech all are kits id do but are out of my $ league for new kits. STS is financially doable but from some of the threads ive read...no thanks.

Ive come across a kit that is brand new all stainless steel, nicely tig welded. Includes turbo headers, all the plumbing on the hotside, T4 turbonetics unit (60mm i think), and an intercooler for $900. For the kit itself to be completed it only needs a BOV, intercooler plumbing, its a FMI and a front mount turbo. What other things should i take into consideration?

If i ever went thru with it id plan on a stock internals setup on prob 6-8lbs. Aside from my listed mods i figure 42lb injectors, TR-6's and maybe a oil pump upgrade are the most necessary components i don't yet have. Although id like to think differently that just seems too simple.

So whadyall think? Be another one of many or try for FI on a (roughly) $3.5thou budget.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbos are not that complicated or millions of factory vehicles would not run them.
The costs add up fast though. There are lots of junk turbos out there on ebay but some stuff is pretty good for reasonable money.
Master power turbos seem pretty good for the buck. You may or may not have trouble with various turbo headers. Some may crack from the weight. Most kits will require some relocation and some might require you to give up your airconditioning.
A good intercooler costs pretty good money. They are again some decent reasonably cheap intercoolers out there so search the posts.
Yeah of course you need a wastgate unless turbo has internal gate and blow off is pretty much required on a m6 car not as much on auto but most auto guys still run them.
You need tuning serious tuning for FI like hptuners or pay for similar tuning. You need big injectors 42 would be minimum 60 better and better fuel pump possibly lines,rails.
You will at higher boosts of course need forged engine parts, stock pistons are big weak link and rod bolts are weak link. You will need to upgrade clutch/trans /rear end depending on power you make.

I have seen close up the sts setup and its actually pretty good the newest version looks to be a lot better also. Local guy has run sts on his near stock y2k camaro ss for several years at low boost no problems that I know of. Car sounds great ,is pretty darn fast compared to a stock or NA done ls1.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

want to be diffent then all the rest of the fbody guys? thats easy buy a mustang! LOL Fi is great and i love my procharger but i fight every day on weather or not to see my set up and go 408 H/C spray
Old 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSickLS1 the Turbo kit you mentioned in your thread would be a good idea but you might want to checkout this thread as well considering your budget is $3,500...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...-000-00-a.html
Old 12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$900 all stainless kit with a baby turbo...........sound familiar to anyone else????? lolo FLEAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAYYYYYYY
Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking EBay kit as well Ninetres; SSickLS1, I'm not saying that the kit doesn't perform but it'll need some modification. Here is a link to an "Ebay Turbo Kit" buildups. I hope this link helps you out with making your decision...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-ebay-kit.html
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninetres
$900 all stainless kit with a baby turbo...........sound familiar to anyone else????? lolo FLEAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAYYYYYYY
If the piping and welding is done nicely and it is a barand new Turbonetics turbo/what diff would it make - from some of the past FI sponsor horror stories i heard is prob just as safe (hehe j/k i know their fixin that). Yea i didnt mention the fuel - i figure injectors, pump - oil pump - & id trailer it to Texas Speed for the tuning (assuming John would take it on). I can handle most all the wrench turning with the help of my LSX buds. Of course the list would fill a page by the time its on the car said and done. I figure i can afford $3thou for all the initial main stuff to get things started, and then another thousand for the stuff along the way? That sound unreasonable? I dont want anything crazy, just a 420-460hp car that runs right. Proll have to handle one or two streetraces a month and one or two track days a year. No cross country treks. Have been looking at some more STS kits and i guess their not as bad as i initailly thought but im still not sure if im sold.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zeke34
I was thinking EBay kit as well Ninetres; SSickLS1, I'm not saying that the kit doesn't perform but it'll need some modification. Here is a link to an "Ebay Turbo Kit" buildups. I hope this link helps you out with making your decision...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-ebay-kit.html
that is the exact kit i was looking at thanks for the link!!!! Lotsa readin but answered almost any questions i coulda had. Is having a wideband an absolute necessity for this stuff or what? Minus the rather large sum to purchase that + tuning crap if necessary all the rest seems to be little stuff here and there that just adds up. In the end it seems as though the kits performance holds up fine it comes down to how much work do you want to do yourself and are you up to finding solutions to all the little nuances you run into along the way. Several pics ive seen show these guys running what look to be stock fuel rails - will they hold up to 42's?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

As far as the wideband goes, almost everyone in FI will say yes it is necessity however that is entirely up to you seeing as you could probably get a Fuel pressure gauge instead of that. Just make sure that before you decide to purchase a Boost/Vacuum gauge, take a look at the EBoost2 and AEM all in one Boost Controller & Boost/Vacuum gauge. 42# injectors should be fine for your goal but I don't see you only wanting 420 - 460rwhp for too long. I'd say get 60# injectors which will give you some room for growth in the long run. As far as Fuel Rails go, there are a lot of people making some good power using oem Fuel Rails.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

honestly, id follow the crowd for your goals. being different gets expensive fast and 3.5k isnt going to cover when you blow the motor, rear, tranny, etc... FI has a funny little way of finding the weakest link in a car and destroying it (of course in my case thats my wallet)
Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Not trying to discourage your SSickLS1 but with a budget roughly $3,500 and realistically only wanting 420 ~ 460 rwhp, I would honestly look into n2o. I know that it really isn't want you want but take a look at Nitrous Outlet's stealthy "Money Maker" (that's the actual name of the kit) wet n2o setup. You could easily hide the bottle in your spare tire compartment and nobody would even know that you are running a n2o system even if they popped your hood.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

brother you sound just like me about 2 years ago, i had 5K saved up and wanted a blower car, all i wanted was a 500 rwhp car well now 2 years 4K miles and 25k$ later it ashould be at 650RWHP, and stays broke all the time. Going FI is not cheap and i sometimes hate it BUT when this bitch runs it the funnest thing ever, so if you can stick with 400+ then you will be fine but good luck on that.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

u should look int a 375ci 6.0 motor with some good flowing head and all the supporting bolt ons, with a good size cam. and go with a 4k+ stall and th350 and stomp all your buddies into the ground.
or just save up more funds and go with budget turbo setup.
remember, u still need, inj., fuel pump, and tune. those are manadatory and not an option
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Launching!

I hate to admit it but the more research i do it seems as tho $3-5K just aint gonna be enough to get'er done. I think for a lil more than 7 i could do what i want PROPERLY but that is just out of the ? right now.

Right at about the time i started this thread there was an 00' pewter WS6 w/a powerdine supercharged and intercooled kit for sale locally. It was an M6 w/like 30k on it and i think they were asking $17k for the car. The problem is that im too hung up on MY cars that i couldnt handle getting rid of one of them, even if the tradeoff was a supercharged T/A. Wierd i know. Its just that well, I wanna do it all ya know? He had plugs in the bungs for the o2 sens too. Speed density tune maybe? They were LT's. Anyways.

I think ill just end up going to a small nitrous setup to start with. Ive never even ridden in a car that has it. We will see how i like it and go from there. A basic 100 wet kit. I know im only bolt ons but i really dont like the idea of weakening my N/A tune. What can ya do? I might still do the cam, guess we will see how tax time treats me. Thanks for all the input guys. In the end i think i just drive my cars way more often than that budget would allow me to go RELIABLY with FI.

Oh well, original is just a nice word for queer anyway! J/K thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

If you go FI...go big 1000hp+...for the money it cost to do it in the first place, I would aim high/
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
I hate to admit it but the more research i do it seems as tho $3-5K just aint gonna be enough to get'er done. I think for a lil more than 7 i could do what i want PROPERLY but that is just out of the ? right now.

Right at about the time i started this thread there was an 00' pewter WS6 w/a powerdine supercharged and intercooled kit for sale locally. It was an M6 w/like 30k on it and i think they were asking $17k for the car. The problem is that im too hung up on MY cars that i couldnt handle getting rid of one of them, even if the tradeoff was a supercharged T/A. Wierd i know. Its just that well, I wanna do it all ya know? He had plugs in the bungs for the o2 sens too. Speed density tune maybe? They were LT's. Anyways.

I think ill just end up going to a small nitrous setup to start with. Ive never even ridden in a car that has it. We will see how i like it and go from there. A basic 100 wet kit. I know im only bolt ons but i really dont like the idea of weakening my N/A tune. What can ya do? I might still do the cam, guess we will see how tax time treats me. Thanks for all the input guys. In the end i think i just drive my cars way more often than that budget would allow me to go RELIABLY with FI.

Oh well, original is just a nice word for queer anyway! J/K thanks guys!
hay man at least you are smart enough to see that befor you get in to deep so good job man

Quick Reply: FI opinions for NA guy (long thread)