LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

WTF Is this normal ?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WTF Is this normal ?

ok so i have a PCV oil catch can and it works great. collects oil all day long. on the passenger side i put another one in line from the valve cover vent to the TB thinking it would collect oil. but for the past few times i went to clean it out i wound out with this

its a real bad oil water mix and water drips out of the TB when i take the hose off. is that normal ? should i just get rid of it and put a breather in place ? any info would be greatly appreciated. i really dont want my intake having any water going in it
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like a head gasket too me
Old 12-28-2008, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i have the same problem. its only a little right? check the pcv valve on the driver side too. i get some from there too. the oil looks fine on the dipstick and when i drain the oil. this sound familiar? idk what it is, im just curious too
Old 12-28-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ElkySS
i have the same problem. its only a little right? check the pcv valve on the driver side too. i get some from there too. the oil looks fine on the dipstick and when i drain the oil. this sound familiar? idk what it is, im just curious too
yeah thats it. the same ****. my PCV catch can gets alittle condensation in it but not as bad as the passenger side.

Originally Posted by jsteele90
sounds like a head gasket too me
i really hope not. i have plans of doing head gaskets and maybe get the heads cleaned up at the same time. but i really dont want that until the spring. i cant afford to have the car down for the winter
Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

take your oil cap off and see if there is some of that stuff on the cap. mine does it also in winter. the oil just doesnt get hot enough and cant burn that stuff off. if your oil looks fine on the dipstick then i wouldnt worry about it.

mine does it every winter. i bet if you pulled the valve covers off there would be that milky stuff on the top also.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 12-28-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
take your oil cap off and see if there is some of that stuff on the cap. mine does it also in winter. the oil just doesnt get hot enough and cant burn that stuff off. if your oil looks fine on the dipstick then i wouldnt worry about it.

mine does it every winter. i bet if you pulled the valve covers off there would be that milky stuff on the top also.
yeah my oil cap has some on it too. i was just wondering that if i got rid of that stuff and put a breather in if it would work the same way or would there be a pressure problem for the PCV valve. i dont want that **** going into my intake thanks for the reply man
Old 12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes its normal,like said before as long as the oil on the dipstick is not milky.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sprayed5oh
Yes its normal,like said before as long as the oil on the dipstick is not milky.
nope dipstick is clean. thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
yeah my oil cap has some on it too. i was just wondering that if i got rid of that stuff and put a breather in if it would work the same way or would there be a pressure problem for the PCV valve. i dont want that **** going into my intake thanks for the reply man
If you put a breather in the oil cap/fill tube it will basicly be a vacuum leak,if thats what you were talking about.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running 2 breathers with the PCV hooked up to a catch can. The computer has no problem compensating for the tiny vacuum leak it creates.

Here is what the oil out of my catch can looked like when I had a blown head gasket.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sprayed5oh
If you put a breather in the oil cap/fill tube it will basicly be a vacuum leak,if thats what you were talking about.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Im running 2 breathers with the PCV hooked up to a catch can. The computer has no problem compensating for the tiny vacuum leak it creates.

Here is what the oil out of my catch can looked like when I had a blown head gasket.

thanks for the replys. i want to try something other then have that crap go into my intake and dirty up the internals. maybe ill just unplug it from the intake and put a small filter on the hose just to see what happens.

speed demon, was there any of that stuff on your dipstick or in the oil when you changed it ?

Search this Thread