Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ls1 vs. GTO and Mach1

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 vs. GTO and Mach1

I havent posted here in awhile but i finally ran into two cars that ive been wanting to race for a long time: a Mach 1 and an LS2 GTO.

Ill start with the goat. I was heading home late on friday when i saw a black GTO ahead of me. i sped up a little to see if he wanted to run when this moron in a 350z pulls a fast and furious move and cuts me off. The guy in the GTO saw this so we decided we'd show him what american muscle is made of. The 350z caught a light allowing me and gto guy to catch up with him, we both lined up on either side at about 45, i down shifted into 2nd and we wasted him. The gto had another a passenger and i had my girlfriend with me, by the time i hit 3rd gear i had about 1 car length on him. We pulled off and i found out he had only a catback and had just traded his grand prix in for it. cool guy and good run, i was happy with the win.

I was heading to pick up my pizza the next night and i saw a gray mach1 roll slowly past me, very loud. The pizza place was coming up on the left and i figured do i really wanna get in some trouble tonight...yes! So i pursued the mach. After a few minutes we found an open spot in traffic at about 55mph...he downshift, and i dropped into 2nd and i gave him the hit. I immediately pulled a car and him and had another 1/2 car between us by 3rd gear. He had a girl with him and i was by myself. If i had to geuss i would say he had a o/r mid pipe with catback. Im thinking i should have lost that race, but 1) he may have only been in 3rd gear and 2) he had a passenger. what is everyone's take on this?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kills! keep them coming! lol
Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
I was heading to pick up my pizza the next night and i saw a gray mach1 roll slowly past me, very loud. The pizza place was coming up on the left and i figured do i really wanna get in some trouble tonight...yes! So i pursued the mach. After a few minutes we found an open spot in traffic at about 55mph...he downshift, and i dropped into 2nd and i gave him the hit. I immediately pulled a car and him and had another 1/2 car between us by 3rd gear. He had a girl with him and i was by myself. If i had to geuss i would say he had a o/r mid pipe with catback. Im thinking i should have lost that race, but 1) he may have only been in 3rd gear and 2) he had a passenger. what is everyone's take on this?
Good kills...esp. on the 350Z

what do you have done to your LS? 55mph isn't the greatest for a mach. Third tops out aroun 85-90 so it's kind of low for 3rd and it's too high for 2nd, he'd end up shifting REAL quick into 3rd. BUT, that's street racing. If you put 1.5 lengths on him that sounds about right given the speed you started and weight, pending the mods of both cars. If you're stock, then it 'shouldn't be that far down. BUt again, this is street racing. I stayed neck and neck with an SLP optioned M6 Z LS in my bolt on DSG mach in those same speeds. I had CAI, midpipe, catback, intake spacer and a dyno tune putting down 300/320.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

what is everyone's take on this?
about right if you ask me, he had an extra passeneger so that might make it about a half car race which on the street is definitely believable.

Originally Posted by ponygt65

what do you have done to your LS? 55mph isn't the greatest for a mach. Third tops out aroun 85-90 so it's kind of low for 3rd and it's too high for 2nd, he'd end up shifting REAL quick into 3rd. BUT, that's street racing. If you put 1.5 lengths on him that sounds about right given the speed you started and weight, pending the mods of both cars. If you're stock, then it 'shouldn't be that far down. BUt again, this is street racing. I stayed neck and neck with an SLP optioned M6 Z LS in my bolt on DSG mach in those same speeds. I had CAI, midpipe, catback, intake spacer and a dyno tune putting down 300/320.
+1
Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65

just a hooker catback and a slp intake, and the stock 3.42's. i figured he was in 3rd but hes the one who chose the speed because i had to catch up to him, he could have easily slowed to a 40 roll which i now is very good for the stangs. nice numbers on your mach, ive always wanted one of those cars but couldnt find one for a good price.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Im thinking i should have lost that race,........
WTF? Why would you think that?

Good runs though.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Nice!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

nice runs, im still waiting for my first mach race
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by svodave

Good runs though.
He spends too much time in this section and the stang'd up fools have brainwashed him BTW how does that Vindicator run? I have a friend who is buying one next week, I know those things are pretty nasty.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IMgettingLS1
^^You near South Florida?^^

Good kills OP. With out the extra weight I would say it's a drivers race.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice kill... sounds about right to me... from a dig a Mach has every chance of putting some hurt on you but I just don't see them pulling as hard from a roll on. Of course that depends on mods.. I've seen some machs trapping about what I do with a few mods on them.

Get that thing to the track already and get some times for it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
^^You near South Florida?^^

Good kills OP. With out the extra weight I would say it's a drivers race.
wish i was id love to put the bottle back on and give you a some runs
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svodave

Good runs though.
Come on now dave....we all know 4V's RULE!. LOL

So quick to have a loss?.

Originally Posted by capn smokey
He spends too much time in this section and the stang'd up fools have brainwashed him
So says one of sites biggest bowtie nuthugger.

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Nice kill... sounds about right to me... from a dig a Mach has every chance of putting some hurt on you but I just don't see them pulling as hard from a roll on. Of course that depends on mods.. I've seen some machs trapping about what I do with a few mods on them.

Get that thing to the track already and get some times for it.
Good post.
wish i was id love to put the bottle back on and give you a some runs
You'd need it for his car.

Seriously though...have you run your current setup?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

ya i would need the bottle for a procharged mach i wont lie on the one, i got beat by a vortech 12lbs GT he said 425whp before the cam by 3 lengths to 100 i was motor only, but he didnt seem like the best of driver, i havent ran my setup at the track or anything dont plain to, it did run low 12's on the 125 shot, go ole 10 bolt dont have to many lauches left on it already broke posi last track day so im goin to put a new posi and a 4.10 and call it quits with the track and be a weekend street car

Last edited by IMgettingLS1; 12-30-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i would need the bottle for a procharged mach i wont lie on the one, i got beat by a vortech 12lbs GT he said 425whp before the cam by 3 lengths to 100 i was motor only, but he didnt seem like the best of driver, i havent ran my setup at the track or anything dont plain to, it did run low 12's on the 125 shot, go ole 10 bolt dont have to many lauches left on it already broke posi last track day so im goin to put a new posi and a 4.10 and call it quits with the track and be a weekend street car
Yeah, that GT has nothing on Newskool's mach...that I can assure you. I'm sure you know that though.

Sounds like you have some nice plans for that bad boy. I'd love to know what ET/TS you can pull off with it, but a weekend fun runner is always good too.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Gotta be honest bro without my DR's it would probably be a good street race without the bottle. I have to feather it at a 50 mph roll or my tires go up in smoke. Where you at maybe I can find you.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Gotta be honest bro without my DR's it would probably be a good street race without the bottle. I have to feather it at a 50 mph roll or my tires go up in smoke. Where you at maybe I can find you.
im in east tennessee lol little far
Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ah the good ole days.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds about right...the cars are really close. a 6spd ls1 probably has a very slight advantage from a roll. but the mach should make up for that from a dig
Old 12-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Thats PBIR in your avatar isn't it? I plan on going there in a few weeks.