Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

adding aftermarket amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding aftermarket amp

If I add a 500w kenwood amp to power my aftermarket door and hatch speakers could i leave the factory monsoon amp in to power the sail panel speakers?

If i can how would i wire the remote turn on for the aftermarket amp when the power control wire coming out of my aftermarket kenwood HU already has the factory amp remote turn on hooked to it?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by thedanks
If I add a 500w kenwood amp to power my aftermarket door and hatch speakers could i leave the factory monsoon amp in to power the sail panel speakers?
Yes, you can if your head unit can have both speaker-level output and RCA output on at the same time. Some head units can only have one or the other.

If i can how would i wire the remote turn on for the aftermarket amp when the power control wire coming out of my aftermarket kenwood HU already has the factory amp remote turn on hooked to it?
The factory amp doesn't use a remote turn-on wire. It turns on using signal sensing on the speaker input wires. So the head unit's remote turn-on wire is available for your aftermarket amp.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:18 PM

thanks my HU is a kenwood KDC-MP438U im not sure if it can have speaker output and RCA at the same time but i will look into it.

Also i currently have the blue and white wire(power control) connected from the head unit to the wiring harness which also had a blue/white wire so i assumed it was for the amp. what would i have connected to the power control if its not the amp?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks my HU is a kenwood KDC-MP438U im not sure if it can have speaker output and RCA at the same time but i will look into it.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures.php?id=11786
last pic down
Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Also i currently have the blue and white wire(power control) connected from the head unit to the wiring harness which also had a blue/white wire so i assumed it was for the amp. what would i have connected to the power control if its not the amp?
You will notice that the blue with white wire in the wiring harness adapter matches up to the blue with white wire from the head unit but that the wire doesn't connect to anything in the factory wiring harness.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 AM

ahh yeah i see that its not going to anything. thanks a lot ill hook it up when it comes in a couple days hopefully no problems with the install

Quick Reply: adding aftermarket amp