Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

paypal authorization denied - wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default paypal authorization denied - wtf?

I posted my probelm in the racer's lounge:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...sk-here-5.html

figured I would ask it here as well:

Today I tried to buy a car part from a member here for $800. When I tried to complete the paypal transaction I got an error saying something like 'authorization failed'. I have my credit card linked to my paypal account. The credit card has lots of credit available, and I haven't gone over any paypal defined transation limits. When I called the paypal help line they said it was basically a paypal anti-scam algorithm preventing the transaction from going on my credit card. The anti-scam decision was somehow calculated on my previous paypal transactions - or lack of transactions. And there was no way for them to override it. Now to make this transaction happen I have to link my bank account to paypal and transfer cash directly. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah,they let you spend $1000. total on your account then you have to become "verified" and give them your bank info. I would use a seprate checking account with no money in it so you cant get scammed.then still use your credit card for buys.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would make sense. But it says my 'send limit' is well over $1k, after which I would need to get my account verified. I found this on the 'Help Center' section of their site today:
Why can't I send money with my credit card?
To ensure the integrity of our network, PayPal takes security measures that may affect some accounts in good standing. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. PayPal uses complex statistical models to identify patterns of behaviour. This is similar to the way banks and credit card companies identify patterns of behaviour that are out of the ordinary when approving individual transactions.

Note:
* If you are unable to send money using a registered credit card, first make sure that you have not reached the sending limit associated with your PayPal account. To do so: Log in to your PayPal account and click View limit.
* If your transaction has been denied and you have not exceeded your account sending limit, you may still be able to complete the transaction by using another funding method.