Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech YSi torque values?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortech YSi torque values?

I have a Vortech V7 YSi head unit that i am disassembling. the case has been painted, i am stripping all of that off and bead blasting it. the volute/discharge is done, i am now looking to do the gear box. i need to take it apart to get to all of the paint. when I put it back together, i need to know how much to torque the impeller nut down to, and any other specs, such as endplay, lash, etc. The unit is new has never been run, it doesn't need any parts replaced. I would call Vortech about this, i'm guessing they would just tell me not to take it apart, send it in to them for service. i've been down that road before.

A service manual would be nice to have. does anyone know where i could find one or find any of the info i am looking for?

thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you already taken it apart? If you have not, it would be pretty simple to find out what they are torqued to using a torque wrench. If you have, then I think you would need to find someone with a YSi head and get them to find out what they are torqued to. I agree with you in that contacting Vortech they will tell you not to take it apart. I would still try asking them though.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Its a pretty small nut...so dont go nuts...excuse the pun.

I had mine apart. I didnt torque anything, because I didnt know what torque to set it. But as the impellor is a press fit onto the shaft, the nut really doesnt need to be that tight. The threads it is on arent that big either.

Generally speaking, torque will be dependant on fastener size. Obviously a 1/4 fastener wont be 60lbft..and similarly, a 3/8" fastener wont be 10lbft.

Common sense with a little experience will go a long way.

Make sure the spring washers go back where they came from in the housing, to keep some pre-load on the bearings once the case is back together.

I also found that the low speed bearing behind the gear usually came apart when trying to remove the large gear. i guess the entire bearing should come out...but the housing always stuck in the gearcase.

Strictly speaking....if you want to try and leave bearings installed onto the shafts, you must press both sets of gears out together.
If you remove the top high speed bearing ( easy with a couple of blunt levers ) then the large gear can easily be removed.

some pics etc here might explain better.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...h-repairs.html
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Yikes, that sounds a little more involved just to take it apart and reassemble it all. i think i'll just seal it up really well and go that route. I will save this info for when i do need to rebuild. at that time i would have no problem tearing into this.

All very good info, thanks much!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want to remove the impellor, then yes you need to strip down quite a bit.

just splitting the gearcase is a doddle...nothing hard there. Same with the compressor cover.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Launching!

i want/wanted to isolate the two parts of the gearbox case to bead blast. i would definitely not want the impeller still attached. i'm pretty sure i can keep the glass beads out by putting the whole thing together though, sealing off the in and out paths. i'll have to be careful though, that glass bead tends to get into places you never thought it could get to.

Quick Reply: Vortech YSi torque values?