LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problems with the good ole LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problems with the good ole LT1

Well, I had some problems with the car today. It won't start. You turn the key, and nothing happens. It doesn't even click, or start to crank. We tried push-starting it too. It'll fire up for a couple seconds, but die again. Any ideas what it could be? I was thinking maybe the opti, but it probably wouldn't even fire on a push-start if that was bad. Plus, the opti only has about 15k on it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the exact same symptoms a while back when my Passkey/VATS went out. For me, the wire out of the lock cylinder that goes down the steering column broke.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

check the ignition switch
Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QuikZ
Had the exact same symptoms a while back when my Passkey/VATS went out. For me, the wire out of the lock cylinder that goes down the steering column broke.
I was thinking that it could be VATS. I should've just had VATS deleted when I got my tune. When it happened to you, did your security light keep flashing whenever the key was in the on position?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tspence45
I was thinking that it could be VATS. I should've just had VATS deleted when I got my tune. When it happened to you, did your security light keep flashing whenever the key was in the on position?
this happened several yrs ago so dont quote me, but I believe so. Here's some info:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

vats for sure, mine i just unplugged the two vats wires they are in an orange sleeve, white and purple i beleive. security light was always on but it started and ran fine
Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

ha I have been installing my stereo yesturday and today I was hooking my 2-400 watt amps and subs and all the other speakers long story short I had the stereo playing for a while and then started to listen to the stereo louder and the bass was kickin and the nothing everything went out?
no lights, so I started to check the fuse's and nothing they were all good?
well you can turn the key to start and the gauge lights will light up but no start not even a click, but when you turn the key to eccessories nothing, no lights ?
well I tryed to roll up the windows and they slowly rolled then stoped and when I put my head lights on only 1 side went up ah battery so I jumped it and wala it works again I checked the battery and the volts went down to 8v's
now I learned something its runing good after I ran it for awhile the battery is only 2 yrs old (red top )
Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

this happened several yrs ago so dont quote me, but I believe so. Here's some info:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Thanks for that link. That's exactly what the car is doing. Looks like I'm going to have to do some VATS removal. I just wish I would've had the car dropped off at my house instead of at the stop earlier then.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vats-...QQcmdZViewItem

Do those things work? If so, I'd better put in my order right now, and see what I can do about some fast shipping. lol
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know why it worked but it did, the spot where that ebay module connects, i just unplugged the two connections, i would give it a try, it will get you around until you either tune it out or bypass it, with a resistor or the ebay thing
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that link. That's exactly what the car is doing. Looks like I'm going to have to do some VATS removal. I just wish I would've had the car dropped off at my house instead of at the stop earlier then.
no problem. i said the same thing when my vats went out while at work instead of at home. Goodluck and VERY nice looking car.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

no problem. i said the same thing when my vats went out while at work instead of at home. Goodluck and VERY nice looking car.
Thanks. It's going to look a little better sometime soon, whenever I get my 315 Nitto DR's ordered and am able to put my 17x11 ZR1's on the rear.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
I dont know why it worked but it did, the spot where that ebay module connects, i just unplugged the two connections, i would give it a try, it will get you around until you either tune it out or bypass it, with a resistor or the ebay thing
I'll try unhooking those wires. Are the wires going to the PCM, or are they in the steering column? It's definately getting a retune soon anyways. I think I'm going to do a cam install very soon, since my buddy said he'd help me out with it. Or, I'm atleast going to throw my 1.7RR's in, and get the PCM retuned, since my speedo's off anyways.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. It's going to look a little better sometime soon, whenever I get my 315 Nitto DR's ordered and am able to put my 17x11 ZR1's on the rear.
I just took some 17x9.5 and 17x11 black zr1s off a car i bought recently, i thought about putting them on my camaro. Although 315s look badass on our cars, I am a little hesitant to roll the fenders so im prob gonna sell them.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

under the steering column, orange sleeve with white and purple wires, grey connectors, i would try it.

I was trying to rig my spare key to the wires to read the resistor but found when they were disconnected it was fine, when connected no start, i tried to hotwire the starter with the key in the on position and it would start but shut down real quick, like when you push started yours
Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
under the steering column, orange sleeve with white and purple wires, grey connectors, i would try it.

I was trying to rig my spare key to the wires to read the resistor but found when they were disconnected it was fine, when connected no start, i tried to hotwire the starter with the key in the on position and it would start but shut down real quick, like when you push started yours
The fact that it's not staying running after it fires on the push-start, is really pointing me towards a VATS/security issue too. Well, I sure wish my car was at home now, so I could go try it. lol
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

I just took some 17x9.5 and 17x11 black zr1s off a car i bought recently, i thought about putting them on my camaro. Although 315s look badass on our cars, I am a little hesitant to roll the fenders so im prob gonna sell them.
It looks like I should have enough room between the tire and the fender, and shouldn't have to roll them, luckily. As long as a 315/35/17 isn't going to be too much taller than a 275/40/17.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have an idea on what the ignition key code would be on a '94 Z28? I guess they need to know it for the bypass module.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think you just need to check the resistance of the little pellet on the key and match that with the amount of resistance in that orange wire coming off of your tumbler... if thats all you are doing is bypassing your vats system... i did it not too long ago and it was pretty easy... also you may get by with just trying another key or cleaning up the key you are using because i know one of my friends had the same problem and he said he just cleaned the resistor off on the key and it worked...

it will be a lot cheaper and do the same thing if you just check the resistance your key has and match that with like $2 worth of resistors than buying that if you wanted to do it that way
but also i think you can see what number your key would be is to take it to a place that copies keys and they have a tester that tests to see which one of the numbers the key is to match the resistance.... so just take it to them and ask them if they can tell you and id say they would do it for free
Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

After a little research, I found a site that gives out what ohm readings will be for what VATS key code. So, I'll check it on my key when I get to work tomorrow, and place an order for that module that I posted above. It'd be easier than trying to wire something up on my own. Me and wiring don't exactly mix well. Plus, the module I posted looks like it's just plug-and-play, instead of having to splice wires and whatnot.

Quick Reply: Problems with the good ole LT1