Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Noise After Replacing Pinion Bearings etc..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear Noise After Replacing Pinion Bearings etc..

i recently had my pinion bearing(s) go out. i guess a nut holding the pinion i think it was began coming lose and caused the bearings and the seal on the rear end to go. ive since had it replaced. i just got the car back today and i drove it around for a bit and the car just started to get a real bad whine/howl when under any sort of load. even holding my speed it howls/whines real loud, but under decel its quiet as a mouse.

i talked to my mechanic friend about it he said since i drove the car for a few miles when the pinion bearings were pretty much fried, it started to wear a new pattern in the ring and pinion most likely. he looked it over and said nothing is bad enough to worry about replacing. gear still looked good.

the whine that started back up didnt come right away, it was more under decel at first, but after about 10 mins of driving, it went dead silent under decel but noisy under load instead. the guy who did the work for me said its most likely the gear wearing the pattern i may have put into the ring gear etc. does that sound right, cause its rather loud, reminds me alot of what it sounded like when i realized something was wrong before he found the bearings shot. a very loud howl/whine that could drowned out the exhaust even. it worries me since its pretty loud, but he said to drive it a little more see if it clears up. ive never had a problem personally with gear whine other than the standard whine from having 4.10s.

for a little background on the car, its got a strange 12 bolt with 4.10s. sorry if my post comes off confusing or cluttered, im not real experienced when it comes to rear end gears and such.

the car had been checked out at alignment shops and everyone with the pinion angle seemed to be spot on from everything they said. i gotta check with mechanic friend who did my work this last time see if he moved anything related to that just to be sure. but figured id ask here and see what you guys thought. i tried searching for an answer but couldnt really find anything like ive gone through.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Well, first check and make sure the damn thing has oil in it. Chances are if you have over 20 miles on it, it does. Nothing against you, but I've fixed other shops screw ups just because they forgot the oil.

Next, check the pinion and make sure it's tight and doesn't wobble.

If you can, pull the diff cover, get you some gear marking compound (if you have none, PM your addy and I'll send you some) and a brush and check the pattern. Also, check the backlash and make sure it's not too tight. Typically gear whine under decel or accel is a sign of a bad pinion inner/outer bearing.

It's extremely possible the shop that repaired it botched it. If the gears looked good enough to keep in there after being damaged, then I doubt it's the gears whining for no reason. To just keep driving it that way can cause more problems in the future. So no, I wouldn't 'just give it more time' and get it checked out right away.

If you don't have the knowledge to do the above, then take it somewhere and have a second opinion, about your pinion lol
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Launching!

i know its got fluid. and it still whines, ive only driven it a few miles to work today and that was about it cause i dont trust driving it anymore, gonna be looked at again tomorrow cause i know something isnt right with the sound its giving off.

Quick Reply: Gear Noise After Replacing Pinion Bearings etc..