Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo shortblock iron or alluminum?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question turbo shortblock iron or alluminum?

Hey guys im having a shortblock built for boost ive been given two options and I need some input as to which block material would be best. Here is a break down of my setup I have a KYTP 76mm single kit, I am staying stock cubed running ETP 225's w/72 cc chambers and a custom Ed Curtis cam mid 230's hight lift. As far the block I can either go with an alluminum ls1 or an iron 5.3 punched out. Which of these two blocks would be best for boost? FYI weight dosent matter to me im more interested in something that can handle alot of boost when i want to play but most importantly reliability. Thanks for the input
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go 408 iron. But if you have to stay stock cubes and dont plan on going over 1000 hp why not go with a stock block aluminum ls1. They have been proven to handle alot if properly built.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

The iron block will always handle the boost better.The bores stay much rounder for much better ring sealing
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

iron block will always be stronger and will be more tolerant. i would suggest going with a built lq9. speed inc has one for 3500 bucks. but if you are going over 1000hp i would dismiss all blocks that a 4 bolt per cylinder setup. the head gaskets will be blowing pretty often. so for over 1000hp go with an lsx good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Launching!

will an iron block run hotter? I live in AZ and its hot as hell out here and im already a little worried about the turbo placement and heat issues, i dont know anybody running a truck manifold kit in AZ
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

with a single t76, alloy block and o-ringed heads or sleeves will be ok... but of weight isnt a big issue iron will just be that much sturdier...

i would personally build as light as possible and go with an laaoy block, but thats me
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a single 76, I think an aluminum 347 is fine, or iron 370 if you feel you need an iron block.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wes96z
will an iron block run hotter? I live in AZ and its hot as hell out here and im already a little worried about the turbo placement and heat issues, i dont know anybody running a truck manifold kit in AZ
yea aluminum disperses heat better then iron, but if you have a proper thermostat you should be fine.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by elias_799
yea aluminum disperses heat better then iron, but if you have a proper thermostat you should be fine.

Radiator keeps the engine cool and stops it from over heating, thermostat is what lets it warm up and only over heat if broken,

More power means more heat in a hot area you may need to install better radiator in car
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Radiator keeps the engine cool and stops it from over heating, thermostat is what lets it warm up and only over heat if broken,

More power means more heat in a hot area you may need to install better radiator in car
the thermostat opens at a certain degree level, our stock thermostat opens at 210 most people switch to a 160 after certain modifications. so you are saying that the only thing the thermostat does is let the engine warm up ? you are an idiot man, don't give people advise on something you know nothing about.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

for those of you who do not know the thermostats function is to control the engines temperature. when a cold car is started the thermostat is closed, and it does not allow any coolant to circulate threw the radiator, witch lets the car warm up quicker, once the engine reaches a certain temperature level the thermostat opens and starts to circulate the coolant threw the radiator to cool the coolant down, witch prevent the car from overheating. most people that have some work done on the engine (eg forced induction) change their thermostats so they open at a lower temperature to keep the engine cooler.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

for those of you who do not know the thermostats function is to control the engines temperature. when a cold car is started the thermostat is closed, and it does not allow any coolant to circulate threw the radiator, witch lets the car warm up quicker, once the engine reaches a certain temperature level the thermostat opens and starts to circulate the coolant threw the radiator to cool the coolant down, witch prevent the car from overheating. most people that have some work done on the engine (eg forced induction) change their thermostats so they open at a lower temperature to keep the engine cooler.

The thermostats is not there to stop a car from over heating thats whats the radiator is for. If engine make 100 btu's and Radiator gets rid of 80 btu's = car over heat even if there no thermostat in car.

Running a car cooler is not always a good things leads to more water building up in oil
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

look man you really need to do some more reading, i don't want to argue with becasue it is like hitting you head against a wall
Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have to do more reading, I know my engines went to school to be a auto tech have my ASE Then went to college for my ME degree

Heat is = to hp made more hp more heat made. To shed more heat you need a bigger or better made radiator plain and simple. Yes the lower thermostat will drop engine temps at idle and highway speed. But if the rad cant shed the heat faster then engine can make it when you racing/ pushing the engine hard then it will over heat.
Reason why cars over heat going up long mountains climbing high load making more Btu of heat then the rad can get rid of.

One of the reasons stock temp is at 210 is to help keep the oil in the engine clean by burning off any build up of water from combustion of the air fuel mix.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

you have said that that thermostat's function is only there to let the engine warm up. i am not arguing that a bigger radiator will disperse heat quicker. i have explained the function of the thermostat for you because you clearly did not know how it works. and most of us don't have the money or the time to get a new rad and install it, that is why i suggested he goes with a colder thermostat witch will run the engine at colder temperature. and the factory radiators are not all that bad and yes at a certain point the stock radiator will not be able to do the job for you.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have said that that thermostat's function is only there to let the engine warm up. i am not arguing that a bigger radiator will disperse heat quicker. i have explained the function of the thermostat for you because you clearly did not know how it works. and most of us don't have the money or the time to get a new rad and install it, that is why i suggested he goes with a colder thermostat witch will run the engine at colder temperature. and the factory radiators are not all that bad and yes at a certain point the stock radiator will not be able to do the job for you.

Yes i said the thermostats functions is only there to let the engine warm up. Which is what it is there for. Its lets the engine warm up to temp IF you lived to sub temp area with no thermostat car would rarely get to operational temp eg 160,180 ,210 what ever it is.

Yes stock rad is pretty good But i thought if hes trying to chose iron vs alum hes looking to make a good amount of power, and burn alot of fuel.

I run a stock Tstat because you are losing thermal efficiently of burning the gas at a lower temp and adding to the build up of water in the crankcase a little for a start and stop of a daily driver. This only matters to a DD and not a race car that is raced and then oil changed after the race. My engine dyno at 658 rwhp and doesnt over heat with a higher thermostats even on a long road courses

If its going to over heat with a iron block pushing 1000 hp then it will over heat with a 160 or 190 temp tstat. It will just hold a temp of 160 or 190 at idle It will take a little longer for the 160 to over heat. Take two pots with a gal of water in each one at 160 degrees and one at 190 both on the same type of the burner and the same heat setting . which will boil first ? but at some point in time they will both boil.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Why don't yall take this to PM's and let this thread get back on track?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes96z

Sorry felt that this was still on topic cause he asked if the iron would run hotter. And didnt want him thinking a Tstat would control a over heating issues if his cooling system was maybe just getting by on a stock rad and alum block in a very hot area of living.

When i switch my track car from iron to alum i know my cooling temps when down only a little but they still went down

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 01-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry felt that this was still on topic cause he asked if the iron would run hotter. And didnt want him thinking a Tstat would control a over heating issues if his cooling system was maybe just getting by on a stock rad and alum block in a very hot area of living.

When i switch my track car from iron to alum i know my cooling temps when down only a little but they still went down
if he goes with a 160 degree thermostat his engine will be running cooler as long as he is not pushing big power numbers. you are wrong man, i have seen plenty people running a 160 degree thermostat on a stock rad and their temperature never went up past 160.

every single person that i have seen on this forum switch to a 160 degree thermostat after they install a turbo or a sc kit, and that is exactly what i am doing once i get my turbo installed. also i think running your engine at colder temperature will make the air going in to the engine colder, witch is always a good thing. yes the piston rings will probably not expand to the same point as they would at 210 degrees then 160. but i don't think it is all that bad because allot of people run their engine at that temp with no problems.

we clearly have two different opinions you think the thermostat only warms the engine up and i think the thermostat control's the engines temperature depending on how efficient everything else is. i do agree with some of the stuff you say like if you are running 1000hp with the 160 degree thermostat will not do anything for you if have the stock rad and water pump. so lets just end it at that ant let this guy make the decision that he wants. maybe somebody else will drop by and give him a third opinion witch always helps.

Last edited by elias_799; 01-04-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo shortblock iron or alluminum?