Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complimenting parts for a H/C LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Complimenting parts for a H/C LS1?

My brother is planning on having Lloyd port some heads and do a cam for his 2002 TA but neither one of us is very knowledgable when it comes to LS1's. We're more LT1 guys. So I figure some 42lb injectors will be good with a 255lph pump. He's already got LT's and exhaust. He has an SLP lid but thats about it. Here's the questions.

What size throttle body would be good?
What kind of intake? LS6?
What kind of rockers and what ratio?
Does he need a better intake system?

Those are the main ones we are wanting to know but if there is anything else you HAVE to have please let me know. His project is not going to be like 100% all out he just wants a strong running car, something like 400+ to the wheels. He doesn't want to have an bunch of money tied up in it but we need to know what he really needs. It's a 6 speed car. Thanks a bunch guys we appreciate the help.

Zach
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock LS6 intake and a ported stock throttle body will work great, since he wants to save some money. You really don't need rockers but I see a lot of threads about Harland Sharp and Yella Terra. He might want to start looking for a decent clutch also.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

400 to the wheels is pretty easy with an M6... Since you already have headers,exhaust,lid, LS6 intake.. Get the TB ported, purchase a decent cam, springs (if needed).. that will get you where you need to be.

GL
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
9 Second Club

2002 came stock with the LS6 intake (lucky you) if your using OEM casting heads, just use stock rockers 8hp isn't worth the serious $ they would cost, less your loaded. MAKE SURE you get chromoly push rods!! They are cheap and the stock ones are like "rubber" past 6K. May also be wise to change the timing chain while your in there like the LS-2 chain $38 and is a direct fit, you don't even have to get different sprockets.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

The 02's had the LS6 intake stock? Isn't the stock LS1 manifold the black plastic one? Because that's what he has.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

How do you tell the difference between a stock LS1 manifold and an LS6?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not knowledgable when it comes to the LS1, yet you're putting new heads and cam on one and THEN asking questions?? First of all, how did he pick a head/cam package if he isn't familiar with the engine? I'd recommend spending some time doing a little research on here getting to know the motor/car. It's good to have a complete game plan when starting to mod. It will save a lot of time and money in the long run.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I don't believe it's stated anywhere in this post that we already did heads and cam. We are forming the game plan and this thread is supposed to help. We haven't touched the motor yet.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

My apologies man. It sounded as though he already had a certain package chosen. By a game plan, I meant identifying his goals. What exactly is he going to do with the car and what does he want out of the car? That is certainly the place to start. It sounds like he already has a few of the bolt on mods. That being said, he already has a good intake, as all 01-02 cars come with the LS6 intake from the factory. Secondly, don't jump into a new fuel pump and injectors unnecessarily, because he may not need it. I have built 3 head/cam cars and none of them showed fuel injectors reaching 100% duty cycle. Build the motor, then look at how the fuel system is behaving. Lastly, if he just wants a strong running street car and looking for close to 400 to the wheels, it is not hard at all to get a cam only 6 speed car to 400rwhp on stock heads. To add to that, plenty of guys with a small 224 cam are at 400 with stock heads the supporting bolt ons. It helps that he has an 02 with 241 heads...they flow really well. Since you said he is on a budget, definitely look into a cam only setup. I would recommend a pulley, ported throttle body, cutout, and definitely do the FRA mod if he hasnt already. I guarantee he will reach his goal.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Ha it's ok. If he does a cam he says he wants to go ahead and do some heads too. He hasn't picked out specifically what he wants but he's gonna have Lloyd port his heads and custom do a cam. He is looking for a 400 rwhp goal but if he can surpass that without much work he'd spend the money. Lloyd can do H/C for like $1500 for an LS1. How much lift are the stock valvesprings good to? Everyone keeps saying to port the TB but how much and who does it? How much does it cost? Thanks guys a bunch for helping out.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

you will need to upgrade the valve springs with any aftermarket cam, you will also need hardened pushrods too
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

-port your own TB- look for a write up.
- get dual valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, ported oil pump- if you have high miles get a racetronics fuel pump and some 42# injectors- rather be safe than sorry. A new fuel filter should be necessary for all but a lot overlook this- they are cheap. Stock rockers are fine as well as the lifters unless he has a lot of miles- ls7 lifters are cheap insurance.

Good time to change out all fluids- tranny and rear end.

have him look into the G5X1 cam and some 5.3 heads. He would have a great street combo with a lot of power under the curve.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

the fuelinjectors in 97, 98, 01, 02, 03 and 04 had 28 lbs/hr fuelinjectorf from the factory while 99 and 00 had 26 lbs/hr.. so you might be ok with the injectors.. but you will only know when you go to have it tuned.. so being the cash to swap them out..
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I'll look for a writeup on the TB thing. I told him that if it was me I would go ahead and getter some injectors and a fuel pump as well. He's pretty set on having Lloyd do the H/C work. He told us he can make a real good setup to be streetable but also make some heavy power. We've been having him do our heads for a long time, way back his porting was only like $400 haha, and have been very satisfied. Plus since he has the good castings they should be good. His car has 80K miles as it sits right now. All this is really helping guys and we appreciate it. Like I said I don't know much about the LSX motors I've only had LT1's and L98's. Never had the money for a newer one. Oh and another question I had. What's the flow rate of a stock TB? Again I know all about the LT1 stuff but not these bad boys.