Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension mods

I am new to the suspension mods and i am just kinda looking for a list of stuff that would help out with my mods i don't know of anything really so if you could leave me with a type of mod and or a link to what i need thanks . Here are the mods of the car 1998 Trans Am, A4, WS6 ram air hood, JAAM Air setup, SLP Lid, Throttle Body Spacer, Throttle body coolent bypass, Ported polished TB, 3.73 Gears, Long tube headers, edelbrock y-pipe, slp loudmouth 1, SLP smooth bellow, EGR & AIR Delete & MAF Sensor Delete & PCMpeformace Tune.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

do you want to turn or go straight? do you have wheel hop? how much do you want to spend? do you want to lower it? do you mind road noise/harsher ride?

all depends what you're doing with the car

i'd consider lower control arms no matter what(what type depends on your goals),
lca relocation brackets if you're going to lower it,
panhard bar if you like turning(adjustable if you're lowering),
subframe connectors if you do a lot of drag with sticky tires,
swaybars if you wanna turn and don't mind maybe losing a tad of launching,
torque arm if you like launching,
and springs and shocks geared towards whatever you wanna do with it/whether you wanna lower
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

do a search, everything you will never need to know is already here.
search for...
Rear Lower Control Arms (traction) - UMI, Spohn, BMR
LCA Relocation Bracket (traction) - UMI, Spohn, BMR
Panhard Bar (handling, lowered car) - UMI, Spohn, BMR
Shocks (handling) - Koni Bilstein
Springs (handling) - Strano
Sway Bars (handling) - 1LE, Strano, Suspension Techniques
Torque ARM (handling/traction) - UMI, Spoh, BMR
STB (handling but more of an appearance mod) - UMI, Spohn, BMR
Subframe Connectors - UMI, Spohn, BMR
Driveshaft Loop/Tunnel Brace (safety) - Lakewood, BMR, Spohn
Tires - Nitto, Sumitomo, Kumho, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, etc.

www.umiperforance.com
www.bmrfabrication.com
www.spohn.net
www.stranoparts.com

What are your goals, do you want to lower the car, do you want more traction at the track, to you want an all around better driving car on the street/better handling. You don't really "need" any suspension parts, you already have them, but you can definitely upgrade them if you want them to satisfy certain goals.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

car is for drag racing, i was thinking on subframe conectors homemade my dad is a certifed welder and also boxing in the rear stock lower control arms instead of buying new ones because it would be the same concept to stifen them up just like square tube ones. And a Panhard Bar because my axel is shifted to one side just a bit so i need to move it over. And ya also a driveshaft loop also because i am getting slicks also and heard it also stiffens it up.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the bushings in the lca's are the issue with launch, not the in-line strength. it isn't cost effective to mod the lca and replace the bushings with poly's. the torque arm is probably the waekest part of the suspension. you will get by with the stock driveshaft for a while being a A4 car, but it would be in your future as you upgrade with more power.
i have all the parts you need at a great deal to upgrade. chromemoly adjustable torque arm with driveshaft loop crossmember, chromemoly adjustable phb and lca's. this is a proven working combo and will last you a long time. pm me for pricing.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

He's right about the LCA's, but the most cost effective solution is to keep your stockers and replace the bushings with some Moog bushings (1LE). If that doesn't keep your wheel hop under control, you will be able to sell them easy after you purchase aftermarket ones.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
He's right about the LCA's, but the most cost effective solution is to keep your stockers and replace the bushings with some Moog bushings (1LE). If that doesn't keep your wheel hop under control, you will be able to sell them easy after you purchase aftermarket ones.
false. the 3 autoparts stores by me charge $40 each for those bushings(and you need 4). you can get poly/poly lca's for ~$100. they help launching a lot. not great for super hard cornering, but if you're gonna do drag they work fine.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

True. $40 each? I bought an entire set for $35 on ebay.

Last edited by RevGTO; 01-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
True. $40 each? I bought an entire set for $35 on ebay.
haha well for that price then i'd definitely say it's worth it. when they told me $40 i had them check like 4 times to make sure that was for one and not at least a pair or all four. i was like yeah right hahah.