Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MY dd needs more HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY dd needs more HP

My C4 has been a good DD logging 205k miles in 18 yrs with the stock L98. Its time for a lil more HP. I was planning a LS6 swap and ran accross the fairmont in a search and led me here. I have been reading a lot of post and realize the 5.3 can make some good power. I have decided a 5.3 w/turbo will be the best bang for the buck. I have never done any cars with turbos, they all have been NA w/carbs. So i am headed into the two things I have never done. 1st being a turbo motor and 2nd being Mega Squirt. As far as building headers and general fabing is not a problem, I do it ever day.

I have read the turbo bible and kno there are more than meets the eye on turbos. So I cant just pick up the phone and order becos I dont kno whats available and what works. Plans are 5.3 on the cheap to learn with. T70 seems to be a good start with a turbo. The things I dont kno is pipe sizing hot/cold and the best place to purchase. BOV's and other items and best placement are a concern to me, thats why i am here.

Seems the zo6 cam/springs/intake are a good combo which are available to me fairly easy. My goal is 500 rwhp. I have road in several vettes that have turbos. One was 8psi and the other was around 12-15. So 12psi is where i would like to be to start. My car is a 6 spd w/3.45 so i dont have to worry about a stall.

Are the ppl who are making 500 rwhp using stock heads on the 5.3? If not which head are being used? Rather use junkyard heads to learn on.
Any one using a aluminum flywheel? Can get one on the cheap along w/LS7 clutch from a good bud.
Which TB is being used? LS6??
What MS is used? noticed they have boost contol available now along with several other products that are way cheaper than fast/accel.

Thanks
Andy