Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Heads/Cam for Daily Driven '98 Z-28?

Old 10-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Heads/Cam for Daily Driven '98 Z-28?

I'm having trouble figuring out which heads/cam combo would work the best for what I am wanting to do with my car. The car in question is a '98 Z-28, m6 car with a moser 12-bolt and 4.10's. The car right now is my only mode of transportation, and I make several trips back and forth to Texas regularly. I really would like to get the G5x2 cam, but I do not know which heads would work the best with the cam. I guess I should tell yall exactly what I am wanting to do with the car first, I'm more interested in highway racing, than 1/4 mile, and my car isn't the lightest out there..full interior t-top car with stereo and after motor work, I plan on focusing the suspension around more of a roadrace type set-up. I'd like to be able to hit as close to 450 at the rear wheels as possible, and still keep the car perfectly driveable as my g/f will be driving the car from time to time, and I'd also like to be able to spray a 125-150 wet shot on it from time to time. So, my question is this..which heads/cam set-ups out there would work the best for what I am wanting? I'm having a hard time, b/c there is what I WANT and what will work the best/make the most power. Also, while I'm at it, are 1 7/8" longtubes too big for a heads/cam/nitrous motor? Or, would I want to stick with 1 5/8"?

One more thing before I forget-How much hp is the stock ls1 intake good for? Would I want to step up to a ls6? Or, just spend the money and get a Holley intake? I'm open for any feedback y'all can give me here!!

Thanks in advance guys,
Jason
Old 10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Which Heads/Cam for Daily Driven '98 Z-28?

I like the combo I have in my sig.. and Texas Speed has a KILLER package deal for around $2,300 I belive. The TSP231/237 is a great cam for nitrous use.. that was the main reason I picked it. Btw.. I drive my car 60 miles round trip to work and back every day. And do yourself a favor.. go ahead and spring for the LS6 intake, stay away from the aluminum holley types.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id say get 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers Lt's, id agree with gomer at this point...those pp ls6 heads and cam would get your up around 430-450 with a manual car and 400-430 with an auto. I would think that cam would tend to work pretty good on a 98 with a stock intake considering the lt's would free up the exhaust. Go with either a newer 01-02 fbody manifold as if flows just as well if not better than the ls6 manifold from what ive been told.

good luck
Bill
Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please use the search function and research the the sponsors on the right.

LS6 intake is worth a fair bit of power and worth the upgrade. 1 3/4 headers are more than adequate for your needs. If you are spraying I would not go with a reverse split. Keep single pattern or trad split cam profile. Double springs are a must.
As for heads do the research.
thanks,
Chris
Old 10-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Go with either a newer 01-02 fbody manifold as if flows just as well if not better than the ls6 manifold from what ive been told.

good luck
Bill
From 01 up, any LS1 (F or Y body) has the LS6 manifold, and some 02 F bodys (all Y bodies) have LS6 blocks also.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Beat me to it Mike...I was going to make the same correction.

NEway, Jason, I think you're setting the bar pretty high with a goal of 450rwhp. There are a couple of ringers out there putting down those numbers, but for the most part stock cube H/C cars are closer to 400-420rwhp. Despite the fact that many people posting here have numbers a bit higher, there are hundreds of people that didn't post numbers because they didn't put down anything that high. For the sake of not being dissapointed, I'd stick to a goal of 400rwhp.

As far as which set to get, since yours is a daily driver, I can't stress enough the importance of proper tuning. It doesn't sound like you're going to do the install yourself, in which case I would pick a reputable shop, such as several of the sponsors to the right. MTI has got excellent customer service and will do everything possible to make sure you're happy with their product (I'm not saying that others won't...this is just a good example). They're also pretty convenient since you're in TX (I am aware that it is a big state, and MTI and Waco are not right next door...but it's not like it's more than a day trip).

In summary...give one of the shops to the right a call and discuss your goals with them.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

450hp isnt gonna be very streetable. You wil need a big cam, and the bigger the cam the less streetable you get. Some say the GX5 is streetable, but my 224/224 is plenty big for me at times. Everyones definition of streetable is different. To some, stallin out 5 outta 7 times doesnt bother them LMAO

as for heads... the best bang for the buck that I perferr are Absolute and TEA. Absolute has alot of M6's in the 430 range!

i'd shoot for 410-420 with a decent cam and either of the 2 heads I listed above.

of coarse you can look at GTP and others if you have the big bucks to dish out

good luck and its a candy factory out there

if i got another cam it would probably be a 220-222 cam, because even the 224 shakes the car to death at lights. It gets on your nerves during long drives and HEAVY TRAFFIC!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Heads/Cam for Daily Driven '98 Z-28?