Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing front speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1197678618335

Would this be a good replacement for the factory front speakers?

Also, how would I install these? Just cut the wires from the factory speakers and attach the new speakers?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just replaced them. polks definitely are much better than the pioneer and infinity components best buy has. circuit city has the polks if you want to listen. but they are $200 a pair at circuit city (they were and maybe still are on sale buy 1 pair, other half off). but amazon has their speakers for half what best buy/city charges shipped.

and i just cut the wires. didnt use the crossovers that came with since i had 2 separate wires for tweeter and mid.

alot of frequencies you hear better from the hatch though so i highly suggest replacing all 4. although, custom fitting 6.5s in the rear is a bit of a pita.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can just ditch the hatch speakers(they are for rear fill only) and replace your sail panel speakers with some better subs and call it a day
Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ i wouldnt. i have turned the rears off to see and the quality is incredibly worse. you cant hear certain frequencies (big ones like guitar and voices) nearly as well as with both. thats with same speakers in front and back. its like buying a 2.1 system instead of 5.1. even with music the 5.1 will be much better.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

save some money, onlinecarstereo has them for 99.95
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I picked these up at best buy on sale for $99. Should i just reuse the stock crossovers? Will the 4 ohm woofer sound like crap since it is wired for a 2 ohm woofer?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 PM
whs
Teching In

I picked up a set of Kenwood componets KFC P708 from wal-mart. They are a 3-ohm speakers. I planned on running an aftermarket amp anyway but they sounded way better than the factory speakers.

I had looked at the Pioneers listed in this thread but decided to take a chance with the Kenwood speakers. I plan on running a subwoofer when Im done so I wasn't concerned with them hitting as hard as the Pioneer components.

I liked the Kenwoods well enough that Im considering buying another set to replace the woofers in the sail panels. (using the new amps built in cross-over for the woofer) I'm also thinking about mounting the crossover and tweeters from that set in the far rear speaker locations.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Ive got pioneers out front and back. sound really good. idk what model they are but i do know theyre of the 2008 year
Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
^ i wouldnt. i have turned the rears off to see and the quality is incredibly worse. you cant hear certain frequencies (big ones like guitar and voices) nearly as well as with both. thats with same speakers in front and back. its like buying a 2.1 system instead of 5.1. even with music the 5.1 will be much better.

Are you sure the sound quality got worse. You are saying that the rear hatch speakers have more range than the front components and the sail panel speakers, I highly doubt that and found that I have best sound quality with only front components and a rear subwoofer. The system might sound louder with the hatch speakers but louder doesn't mean better. But i guess everyone has their own preference, so just try it out for a few days and see what you think.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
Wrong on all accounts.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Are you sure the sound quality got worse. You are saying that the rear hatch speakers have more range than the front components and the sail panel speakers, I highly doubt that and found that I have best sound quality with only front components and a rear subwoofer. The system might sound louder with the hatch speakers but louder doesn't mean better. But i guess everyone has their own preference, so just try it out for a few days and see what you think.
depends. if you have stock speakers in back then you just hear the distorted rears rather than the much better quality fronts. but if they are the same speakers front and back it sounds better with rears also. when i turned off the rears i turned up the fronts and it was obvious that some frequencies didnt sound as good (were quieter), mostly mid since thats the speaker not really pointed at us and you dont have that surrounded by sound feeling. if i only had the $$$ to upgrade either front or rear it would be the front no contest tho.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

I have some Alpines, not sure of the model but I like 'em.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

i got INFINITY KAPPA 63.7i 6.5 from ebay dont go to circuit city nor bestbuy... save some money..