Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car's Idle/SES light

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car's Idle/SES light

Well my car is a 99 T/A Ram air 6 spd. IT is bone stock down to the paper filter. Except i did a couple of the free mods. Before the free mods the car ran perfect.I did the Free Ram Air and the EGR mod. The first day i did these mods the car ran slightly better. Seemed to pull through the RPM's a little smoother. The next day i filled up the gas tank and left and while i was drivin i noticed the 'Service Engine Soon' light come on. I started to slow down for a red light and put the shifter into neutral and let the clutch out and the car slowly idled up to 2k RPM.
And when i come to a complete stop and leave the car in neutral it will either drop down to normal idle, or drop way down and stumble and try to stall (but it has never stalled). So this has been goin on for a little over a week and the SES light kinda just comes on for a day or two then off for a little while then back on. But the idleing problem has pretty much stayed the same. Also everyone once in a while when i floor it in 1st gear from a roll around 2-3k rpm it will kinda stumble, barely noticeable but i can feel it. Sorry this is so long, but anyone have any suggestions or know what might be causing this. I am thinking about buying a diablo programmer thing. Can i scan the computer with one of those to check for codes? Help me out guys. Its starting to worry me.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 06:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Car's Idle/SES light

There might be a vacuum leak where you did the EGR mod.With the car running spray some WD40 where the EGR goes into the intake.The rpm will change if there is a leak.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I suggest checking all your EVAP hose lines. Sometimes those work loose. It may not be the problem but then again - it doesn't hurt to check.

Did you run a scan to see what code was being set?

If the computer can run a test and does not find a failure for 3 consecutive times (I think it's 3) then the code will go away. But as soon as it sees a problem again it will turn the SES back on. So the reason your code is coming on and going off is that it's an ittermittent problem and is not happening all the time.

See if you can get the code tho. It may have nothing to do w/ EGR. Keep us posted.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks alot guys.
Slowhawk, i did what you said and i heard the RPM change, plus i could hear it sucking air right by the EGR. So i pulled it out and ofcourse the gasket was wedged in crooked. So i put it on right and now the car runs like a champ. Idles perfect, and no SES light. Thanks for the suggestions CEOWS6, i will try that next time i screw somthin up.
Now i can get back to finding some cheap mods for it.
Talk to u guys later.