Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about TNT F-1 kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about TNT F-1 kit

I have got the TNT F-1 kit that I am trying to put on my car. Have a small problem though. This is my first kit and I am trying to follow the directions to the letter. In the directions it states the different locations for the nossles on the power ring. For the C-5 they should be at 2 oclock and 8 oclock position. For the F-body they are at 3 and 9. The first of my problems are that the nossles are already mounted at the 2 and 10 oclock positions. Also the mounting bracket for the solenoids are completely different than what is shown in the directions. The directions have them mounted to the top of the power ring with a 5/16" bolt. There no bolt hole on top and the mounting bracket is completely different. The mounting bracket looks like it need to mount on the intake at the throttle linkage. So to make the bracket work I have to rotate the power ring off center. Is this normal? Have I bought a newer type system and got the old directions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't have enough hair left to start pulling it out now. Thanks in advance.

Robert
Old 10-01-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Question about TNT F-1 kit

Good luck with your setup. You could also try paging Tim (tapout) on the local board. He installed a kit on his car.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks Wayne. Will give him a holler.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're right, the bracket does go on the throttle linkage. My instructions sucked too.

On the position of the nozzles, wouldn't the easy fix be to just rotate your power ring a little? The difference between 2/8 and 3/9 seems like they just want you to mount it slightly different on the throttle body.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Teching In

When I rotate the power ring the nossles are interfering with the fuel and nitrous supply lines. A friend of mine came over that is a mechanical engineer so we are trying to design and make a bracket to mount the solenoids behind the TB. As long as we have enough line to reach them we should be ok. I hope. Thanks for the reply. Back to the shop for more cussing and hair pulling.

Robert
Old 10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TNT just hasn't updated the directions on the new kit with the new bracket. The nozzles are in a dirrerent position from the directions also.

I just installed a kit with new bracket and nozzles are off-centered to clear the bracket. I think they are more like 11:00 and 3:00. I personally would rather make a new bracket like the old one so the nozzles are place equally on each side instead of one being damn near in the center.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My link didn't work but if you go to ls1.com and search for tnt pics, there is a good pic of the "new" kit installed.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

<a href="http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6ef8430eec4d1df7a043718b9bc0d2b7& amp;threadid=390674" target="_blank">Pics of install even though we ended up doing it this way anyway </a>
Old 10-03-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic is my car. I know exactly what you mean about the instructions. They SUCK! I have a couple more pics of the kit installed if you need them. I called TNT about it and this is exactly how they "want" it installed.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

I'd sure like to know why they changed the bracket. I like the original design better.

What did you do about the lines from the nozzles rubbing the underside of the hood?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually on my car, it is very close, but they don't rub. I took some white paste and applied it to the lines and closed the hood, reopened the hood and they didn't rub. Its a close fit, but it works.

I agree with you 100%, I like the old setup better.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Well we got the kit on thanks to bigE "Eric" and another friend of mine. Thanks for all the help Eric you were a lifesaver. If you weren't there I would have thrown that kit in the yard and said to hell with it.

Now that I am figuring out how all this stuff goes together and works I am going to redo almost everything about it.

Thanks for all the advice from the board members. Have great weekend.

Robert
Old 10-09-2003, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

Glad the hood cleared for you. Birdy wasn't so lucky. However, some wire loom fixed that.

I would like to go on record as saying to hell with TNT's "kit". A kit implies that parts have been assembled in a group with special consideration given to a particular vehicle. My thoughts? Like hell it was. The only specialty part in that whole so-called kit was the solenoid mounting bracket and even it required some finagling to get it to work. It's like we just got the parts and put everything together ourselves. To me, that's not at kit. It's a pile of parts. We'd have probably been better off starting with just parts so we could have routed and placed everything where we wanted it. However, we got it in there. It's Birdy's car so as long as he's happy with, I guess that's all that matters. I will assure you, though, I will HIGHLY advise everyone I know against "kits" from TNT.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. My TNT F1 kit went on fine and the directions were OK. I had the "old" kit, I guess, where the 'noids mount on top of the ring. The install was pretty easy and the kit worked great UNTIL my heads/cam went on. But that's in another thread...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Benjamin

Th einstructions i recieved were for the kit you have but they sent me a universal kit and things didn't work out quite like I would have liked for them to. No worries though I am going to make some different brackets and do it the way I want it done. This will be done in the very near future. Once again thanks for all the help from the posters here and an especially big thanks to Eric aka "BigE".

Robert
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Robert: Hope that everything works out well for you! The kit was awesome on my bolt-on engine, but I'm having some "technical difficulties" now that the heads/cam are on...