PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does any one still use the maft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Does any one still use the maft?

maft= mass air flow translator for the new guy's.

This was the first way to tune the air fuel on the ls1 before any software came out for it .

Mine has been sitting in a box in the side compartment of my Avalanch for 3 years now and how it got there I dont know because it has not been used in forever.

The other day I took my ls1 powered 64 Nova for a test drive on a country road and had my wide band hooked up but forgot to bring my efi live and laptop in my truck . I get out on the road for the first ever drive in this car since its a race car with no plates, headlights or any street legal weight adding devices and see that my air fuel is like 14/1 wot. Oh **** man, I dont have my **** to add fuel.

A light bulb went off in my head and damn that thing was a life saver.

I was able to drive my Nova to the weight scale at a lumber yard down the road from my brothers house , 2730 with me in it by the way.

I was able to add fuel to it and go for a drive, its not tuned in but I did add 14% wot and put it on the safe side at what I could tell by glancing at it while running the **** out of it, 12.1/1
i am tuneing with maf only right now anyways so this thing makes it easy for when I go to the track. Get it close to where I want and then change it in the tune and try again with out it hooked up.
I know the new craze is speed density but I am likeing this maf tuneing. 239/243 cam has no surge at all .
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If it works, it works. It seems like so long ago when they came out with the MAFT. It was a hot item for a while, there's got to be a lot more of them out there.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I had other troubles at the track last night but as for tuning it made the a/f adjustments pretty simple.

I have a good Idea of where the maf tables need to be to get a base line to tune from now on the dyno. I am going to leave the MAFT on for future tuning needs.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use my maft on my chevy equinox so i can run e-85 in it, works great
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
If it works, it works. It seems like so long ago when they came out with the MAFT. It was a hot item for a while, there's got to be a lot more of them out there.
I had a PILE of them removed from customer's cars that were in for full tuning and wanted them ditched. I just got rid of that pile a few months ago...

Most of the guys that have them have been in the game for a while.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
I had a PILE of them removed from customer's cars that were in for full tuning and wanted them ditched. I just got rid of that pile a few months ago...

Most of the guys that have them have been in the game for a while.
You could have put them on ebay and sold them in conjunction with my performance chip/IAT mod.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, you should have kept one ... for historical purposes, it is an antique!

Tuning with the MAFT, AutoTAP and HPP3, ah the "good" ole days.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I went to the track last night and the car was a dog. Turns out that if you max out the Maf it pulls lots of timing.

I had to set the maft at 5% base and 8% wot to get my a/f in the 12.5 /1 range. Even though the a/f was decent , the car was way down on power. I watched my logs today to try to figure out why and seen 1.2 deg of knock. I watched my efi live log of the runs and on a graph of timing when i first hit 100% throttle it sees 1.2 deg knock and 26 deg wot timing. at 100 kpa on the map my timing is showing 2.5 deg advance up to 6 deg advance. I did not log my maf as it was not a selected pid on my v2 for black box logging.

I am going to set it aside and just tune the thing on a dyno where its easier to properly tune then at the track . New car to me to drive so to much going on and not enough passes on a busy bracket night . After the car is tuned it could be a valuable tuning aid for quick adjustments but not to tune a car that is wacked to start with.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Steve, you should have kept one ... for historical purposes, it is an antique!

Tuning with the MAFT, AutoTAP and HPP3, ah the "good" ole days.
Something to show your grand kids.

Frost - "Look kids, this is how we did it in the early 21 century."
Frost III. - "But grandpa, how did you hook it up to the Thermodynamic Laser-Assisted Airflow Analysis Controller?"
Frost - "Oh, Frosty. This was long before TLAAACs became standard equipment."
Frost III - "Ok, that's nice gramps. Hey, how about letting me have $1000 to take this girl out tomorrow night."
Frost - "A thousand dollars!?"
Frost III - "Yeah, she's a cheap date. I hear she gives it up pretty easy too."
Frost - "But you're only eight years old."
Frost III - "Dude! You gonna give me the money or not"
Frost - "Well, I guess so."
Frost III - "Then fork it over, old man. I gotta get out here, your house gives me the creeps"
Frost - "Here you go, be careful and don't spend it all in one place"
Frost III - "Whatever gramps"
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
Well I went to the track last night and the car was a dog. Turns out that if you max out the Maf it pulls lots of timing.

I had to set the maft at 5% base and 8% wot to get my a/f in the 12.5 /1 range. Even though the a/f was decent , the car was way down on power. I watched my logs today to try to figure out why and seen 1.2 deg of knock. I watched my efi live log of the runs and on a graph of timing when i first hit 100% throttle it sees 1.2 deg knock and 26 deg wot timing. at 100 kpa on the map my timing is showing 2.5 deg advance up to 6 deg advance. I did not log my maf as it was not a selected pid on my v2 for black box logging.

I am going to set it aside and just tune the thing on a dyno where its easier to properly tune then at the track . New car to me to drive so to much going on and not enough passes on a busy bracket night . After the car is tuned it could be a valuable tuning aid for quick adjustments but not to tune a car that is wacked to start with.
Well, maybe that's why you don't see many of them anymore.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED

Well,you just answered your own question why we don't tune with the MAFT anymore.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I amagine mine will get thrown back in the closet untill i show my grand kids also
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Something to show your grand kids.

Frost - "Look kids, this is how we did it in the early 21 century."
Frost III. - "But grandpa, how did you hook it up to the Thermodynamic Laser-Assisted Airflow Analysis Controller?"
Frost - "Oh, Frosty. This was long before TLAAACs became standard equipment."
Frost III - "Ok, that's nice gramps. Hey, how about letting me have $1000 to take this girl out tomorrow night."
Frost - "A thousand dollars!?"
Frost III - "Yeah, she's a cheap date. I hear she gives it up pretty easy too."
Frost - "But you're only eight years old."
Frost III - "Dude! You gonna give me the money or not"
Frost - "Well, I guess so."
Frost III - "Then fork it over, old man. I gotta get out here, your house gives me the creeps"
Frost - "Here you go, be careful and don't spend it all in one place"
Frost III - "Whatever gramps"

Now THAT's funny!!!