Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall causes vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall causes vibration

I have a 3200 stall. I noticed since its been installed when driving like 50- and up there seems to be alot of vibration in the gear shift area like since I got a cam and stall seems to me to make stuff rattle alot now anyone else notice this. It seems almost sometimes like a grinding like the stall is spooling up or something this is the first stalled car I have driven so I have no clue if this is how its suppose to feel or not.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it is the stall causing vibration because they are balanced after assembly. It's not impossible, but it's most likely gonna be something else. Did you change anything else at the time of install(trans mount, torque arm, driveshaft, etc)? It sounds more likely to be a driveline vibration being that it happens at speed. If it was the converter it would vibrate in neutral if you rev the engine to the same RPM as it occurs while driving.

A good place to check would be to make sure the drive shaft is seated properly in the yoke on the rear end. If the tranny mount or torque arm were swapped it could be a pinion angle problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Evrn if its in park and you rev you feel the vibration it feels like just torque. I had some guys tuning it they were saying its just the stall, stall's just feel so funky in the car its completely different from the stock stall feeling.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I had a similar problem when I had my 3200 stall converter installed. It would vibrate really bad like the exhaust was laying on the body or something. Tuner and mechanic both said it needed to be tuned so the converter locked up later. Mine only does it between 1100 and 1400 RPM (in all forward gears). I'm getting ready for engine work so I'm going to address it after work is done. I was told It might correct itself after the upgrades.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Brother, i amrunning a pretty big cam (G5X3) and a 3600 stall and there is NO vibration,shuddering in mine..

I am with the other guy... driveshaft, tranny mount,possibly a converter issue.. Did you purchase new? Was is professionally installed? YOu say in your sig, "A F$%& up tune"..??

Could that be your issues? Does it shift ok? buck,surge? Alot of variables here... could you be more specific?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

just had a 3200 put in mine as well doing the same thing and ive been gettin mixed ideas about it as well seeing how it is my first stalled car to drive as well some say something is wrong others are telling me its just fine and i've gotta get it tuned and it takes some getting use to
Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Trust me, if it is done right... You will certainly NOT have any question as to whether or not it was a good mod...

Everyone driving stalled A4's will tell you that the BEST mod for an A4 is a nice converter that is "matched" to the gears, and later the cam..

Let's say you have that 3200 stall in an otherwise stock LS! with 273's.. if it is not "tuned" properly, it won't run properly.

Conversely.. you "tune" the car to the converter and you will ENJOY it immensely..

JMO... we all have em...

Originally Posted by kris6273
just had a 3200 put in mine as well doing the same thing and ive been gettin mixed ideas about it as well seeing how it is my first stalled car to drive as well some say something is wrong others are telling me its just fine and i've gotta get it tuned and it takes some getting use to
Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I'm waiting for a tune it might have something to do with the stall locking up, because sometimes you get one it and it starts vibratinig but if you ease off the gas just a little and let it drop in rpm a little is smooths out. It might be I neeed to get it tuned because I am running on a bullshit tune right now it shifts cool very very minor surge I mean minor ever so often. The more I read the reply's more I believe its the tune. I had this dude that was suppose to be a good tuner try to tune my car turns out he sucked really bad, I'm suppose to get it tuned real soon my someone legit so hopefully that fixes the problem.

Last edited by ChevyRyda99LS1; 01-07-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

I just got my 3600 stall installed, and I have _no_ (new) vibrations from it.

I agree with PewterY2KZ28 that it's the best A4 upgrade you can do, and I don't see any downsides to it (except for city MPG and the rate I'll wear out my tires at).

I'm still fine-tuning my tranny-tune, and have yet to notice vibrations from anything funky in the tune though.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

yep stall should not vibrate...mine does or did when my fried lockup clutch would try to engage...lol but as others have stated id say its drivetrain related...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Default get a tune

Originally Posted by ChevyRyda99LS1
Yeah I'm waiting for a tune it might have something to do with the stall locking up, because sometimes you get one it and it starts vibratinig but if you ease off the gas just a little and let it drop in rpm a little is smooths out. It might be I neeed to get it tuned because I am running on a bullshit tune right now it shifts cool very very minor surge I mean minor ever so often. The more I read the reply's more I believe its the tune. I had this dude that was suppose to be a good tuner try to tune my car turns out he sucked really bad, I'm suppose to get it tuned real soon my someone legit so hopefully that fixes the problem.
the lock up points need tuned as well as the pwm...if you keep driving that way you will tuin the lockup clutch as i done we live and learn...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, once i added healthy cam, LS6 heads,stall (Yank SY3500) was not long til the 4L60E went boom... started slipping down low, and up top..

Remedy... An RPM Level4 60E, with a new PI VIG 3600... over 10K on it and it run's like new...

GL..

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
yep stall should not vibrate...mine does or did when my fried lockup clutch would try to engage...lol but as others have stated id say its drivetrain related...

Quick Reply: stall causes vibration