Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To Paint OR Not To Paint? That is...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Paint OR Not To Paint? That is...

the question. Alright guys i have been tossing the idea of redoing the interior of my car from that NASTY grey to black. I would be using the duplicolor or sem paint with adhesive.

The only thing i'm worried about is the dash area and if that would hold up. My car is mostly a garage queen but still see the sun...I would prolly buy one of those sun visors to help.

I have talked to alot of the guys who have done this on here and other sites and everybody says it works great. I just don't want to screw up and have it look like **** and chip everywhere!!

SO YES OR NO?

And no im not made of cash to buy new panels unless i found some cheap!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

If you're good at painting interiors then yes, if not then no. lol
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Teching In

this is very tricky and can end up being a disaster.. I go with no
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I would say no. I've dyed interior panels before, and I'm fine with doing little parts, but the entire interior, no way. First off, prep has to be absolutely perfect. You'd have to go over it with wax and grease remover several times, since that Armor All is nasty stuff as far as paint/dye goes. And I've thought of dying a console piece I have, but rethink it when I bump it every other time I put my seatbelt on. I'm sure you rub or hit the interior pieces more than you think. Then you have a nasty chipped up interior. Just wait for a black interior car to show up. Even if the whole interior isn't swappable, at least get the high-traffic parts in black, like the door sills, door panels, and dash.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine. Absolutely nothing wrong with dying the dash with SEM if you do it correctly. I opted for Krylon Fusion for my gloss black accents & it hold up very well. My car is a daily driver that sees plenty of abuse also. On hard plastic pieces I'd tell you to either swap them out for real Ebony, wrap them in leather or some other fabric of your liking, or if your gonna paint them be very careful. The softer parts are more forgiving & soak up the color. While the harder plastics will scratch back down to the original color if you scratch it hard enough.

I did my entire dash in satin black for $25 in SEM products instead of hours swapping my dash & the additional cost. So far not a single problem parked outside all day with no sun shade & I have gotten nothing but compliments from everyone thats has seen it so far. It looks factory if you didn't know better.

Now on small hard plastics I have yet to find a paint that holds up better than Fusion. I did my vent cups, door switch panel, door handle trim, radio bezel & top of my center console with it. They all still look like the day I installed them after paint. Here is a quick pic.

Up close of center dash after

In daylight after(look at the console lid vs the dash which used to be the same gray color)

Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 01-07-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

make sure you prep prep prep and use an adhesive promoter!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
I would say no. I've dyed interior panels before, and I'm fine with doing little parts, but the entire interior, no way. First off, prep has to be absolutely perfect. You'd have to go over it with wax and grease remover several times, since that Armor All is nasty stuff as far as paint/dye goes. And I've thought of dying a console piece I have, but rethink it when I bump it every other time I put my seatbelt on. I'm sure you rub or hit the interior pieces more than you think. Then you have a nasty chipped up interior. Just wait for a black interior car to show up. Even if the whole interior isn't swappable, at least get the high-traffic parts in black, like the door sills, door panels, and dash.

I have to agree with him it is tricky expecially hightraffic places like he said... when you 1st do it u might be like but once it starts to chip
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad ws6
can you post up more pics? i am also thinkin about doing this