Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" Issues

2000 Camaro SS M6 Spohn Torque arm, Spohn Lower control arms, everything else in the suspension is stock. Stock driveshaft too.....and it does not appear to be to short....running in same location, actually a lil deeper than before.

I have a couple issues that I am unsure of, maybe someone can help me.

First off, my sway bar is rubbing the housing......right where the torqu arm adapter shafts are welded on the housing. Should I grind the end of them off or is there something done wrong. I used 3" muffler clamps to install it!

Second, I really had to draw the rear forward in the car to get the moser to work.......I had to take my spohn torque arm out and adjust it as short as I could. It is really laying forward now......right at the poly mount on the arm.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to cure these issues?

Last edited by carfreak07; 01-07-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Car info
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by carfreak07
2000 Camaro SS M6 Spohn Torque arm, Spohn Lower control arms, everything else in the suspension is stock. Stock driveshaft too.....and it does not appear to be to short....running in same location, actually a lil deeper than before.

I have a couple issues that I am unsure of, maybe someone can help me.

First off, my sway bar is rubbing the housing......right where the torqu arm adapter shafts are welded on the housing. Should I grind the end of them off or is there something done wrong. I used 3" muffler clamps to install it!

Second, I really had to draw the rear forward in the car to get the moser to work.......I had to take my spohn torque arm out and adjust it as short as I could. It is really laying forward now......right at the poly mount on the arm.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to cure these issues?
Stick a pry bar under the sway bar and rotate it towards the rear of the housing.

I'm not sure why you had to draw the rear forward, can you elaborate on this? Thanks. Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Stick a pry bar under the sway bar and rotate it towards the rear of the housing.

I'm not sure why you had to draw the rear forward, can you elaborate on this? Thanks. Bob
With the torque arm connected, It was about 1-1/2 inches from reaching the control arms. I removed the torqu arm and shortened it up as much as possible. Once that was done, I ran the bolts back through it and had to use ratchet straps to draw the rear forward to connect the LCA's. Everything looks good now and seems to be setting right in the car but the torque arm mount where th poly bushing is as laying way toward the front of the car, it is actually binding against the poly bushing. Is this stuff normal with spohn parts and 9" combos I might get some pictures by the weekend if the weather cooperates. As far as the sway bar, it is sitting good, just rubbing the one long shank that is welded to the housing. Please view the red circle in the picture below to better explain.
Attached Thumbnails Moser 9" Issues-dscf2502-edit.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Im using a UMI Tunnel mount with my 9", Mine also was pushed forward at the poly mount, But Ive looked at several pics and its normal with mine, I figured it was suppose to be in a vertical position, If you need I can probably take some pics today since ive got some more stuff to put on the car.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Im using a UMI Tunnel mount with my 9", Mine also was pushed forward at the poly mount, But Ive looked at several pics and its normal with mine, I figured it was suppose to be in a vertical position, If you need I can probably take some pics today since ive got some more stuff to put on the car.
No, it's not normal... shorten the top helm only on the rear bracket and adjust for pinion angle. That should fix the front link.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Yea that would be good, snap a shot for me if you dont mind, I will also get some of mine real soon!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
No, it's not normal... shorten the top helm only on the rear bracket and adjust for pinion angle. That should fix the front link.
I went and looked at the pics again, and your right it is more vertical. The B&W instructions they sent, it looked slanted, I havnt noticed anything bad with the way mine is, but I might take it off and try and readjust it.

Last edited by SuperSlow02; 01-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by carfreak07
Yea that would be good, snap a shot for me if you dont mind, I will also get some of mine real soon!
didnt get a chance too...wife had the digi cam and was MIA lol But it was about about a 45 degree angle..least thats what it looked like.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Ok guys, here are some pictures of everything. I may need to check my pinion angle by the looks of the shocks but it does not wheel hop, does not vibrate, and hooks well. Based on my ten bolt with this torque arm, it is at the same angle. I only checked the degree on the pinion and it was at O or maybe +1 but I did not check the driveshaft. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Driver side rubbing

Passenger side rubbing

Torqu arm also Hitting Now!!!

Shock angle!

After I took the Mounting Hardware loose from the sway Bar!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

I just remember'd when my torque arm mount in the front was more vertical, the bracket was hitting the driveshaft.....
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to remove the T/A (sorry) and get the hammer in there and massage the area where its rubbing on the tunnel. Sway bar- like bob said, loosen up everything and put a pry bar in from the bottom and pull it up more until its not touching and tighten it up. Good thing you painted it up so nice only to scratch the **** out of it I did the same damn thing..lol Also i set mine at -2..seems to be good. and you might wanna get some longer T/A bolts...i need some too. If not just check them every once in awhile
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Dont know if you ever got the TQ arm fixed but I just got off the phone with UMI and they told me its a common issue with the mosers due to the mouting point on the rear end and if its not hitting anything its not a big deal.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by litemup02
First you need to remove the T/A (sorry) and get the hammer in there and massage the area where its rubbing on the tunnel. Sway bar- like bob said, loosen up everything and put a pry bar in from the bottom and pull it up more until its not touching and tighten it up. Good thing you painted it up so nice only to scratch the **** out of it I did the same damn thing..lol Also i set mine at -2..seems to be good. and you might wanna get some longer T/A bolts...i need some too. If not just check them every once in awhile

Yea I was planning to massage the floor some to clear the torque arm, just hate that I had to shorten the arm up so much.....however my drive shaft runs in the same location on the seal as it did before so I dont have a problem needing a longer driveshaft. I have had customer project out the wazoo so it is still up in the air but I am going to try to rotate the sway bar to the rear of the car to get it to clear.