Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

obscure security idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obscure security idea

i've thought about people that have a stereo system concealed in their trunk, what if they just unplug their trunk button from inside their car and only use the key or fob to open their trunk? it's very hard to get back to the trunk from inside the car, and unless you can pick a lock there is virtually no other way to get the trunk open. sure the possibility of them smashing in your rear window is present, but still they aren't going to easily get to the trunk in a situation like that.

my thoughts are also that if the trunk button didn't work they'd probably just not mess with it and move on. thoughts?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I believe that if the alarm is going off/ the alarm is armed or the window is down and the dooris shut and locked, then the hatch button wont even work, But even then there is a plastic slide on the closing mechanism on the hatch that if you push it with a screwdriver or key, it will pop the hatch from the inside without any effort at all.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

interesting. but you would have to know where it is, and i doubt a robber is going to know how an fbody's interior hatch system works. as for the other piece, roll up the window and use the switch or just use your key.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

A Crowbar would be more likely than a thief hoping the button will work
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz
A Crowbar would be more likely than a thief hoping the button will work
really depends on where you are. if you are the only car parked on a dark street, yeah i imagine you're right. if it's a parking garage do you really think someone is going to attract all that attention buy pulling out a crowbar and going at a car's trunk?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
really depends on where you are. if you are the only car parked on a dark street, yeah i imagine you're right. if it's a parking garage do you really think someone is going to attract all that attention buy pulling out a crowbar and going at a car's trunk?
Did you forget thieves are usually desperate and stupid? It wouldn't take much to crack open a hatch on these things. ****, I can flex my hatch just by pulling at a side
Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Did you forget thieves are usually desperate and stupid? It wouldn't take much to crack open a hatch on these things. ****, I can flex my hatch just by pulling at a side
it's just a deterrent. if a thief can open a car door to take a gps unit why would he smash the window of the car next to it with the same unit sitting in the front seat? if the trunk button won't work what makes him believe something in the trunk is worth taking a crowbar to the hatch for? kind of like a crook probably won't smash a window to a car if he can look in and see nothing that he wants; why would he? but if the door is unlocked i bet he would open it and rummage through the glove department/console regarldess. i know my friend had 79 cents stolen from his car once only because it was unlocked. the trunk button removal is the same concept and is only a further deterrent.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
...the trunk button removal is the same concept and is only a further deterrent.
Not quite. The scum would have had to break into your car already to determine that the hatch release doesn't work. At that point I doubt that the disconnected button is much of a deterrent.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not quite. The scum would have had to break into your car already to determine that the hatch release doesn't work. At that point I doubt that the disconnected button is much of a deterrent.
i'm am not sure about that, though. it takes more time to pry the trunk open with a crowbar. maybe if they feel they have the time, but otherwise that might be too much work. i am not a robber but if there are 100 cars nearby and you break a window in one and can't get into the trunk without taking a crowbar to it, it doesn't make sense you would spend that time when you can go look in the window/break the window of 99 other cars that takes a fraction of the time to do as opposed to crowbarring a trunk open.