LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My god how do you get the fuel rail out? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My god how do you get the fuel rail out? Help!

I got all 4 bolts out of the top and after an hour or 2 finally got the injectors to come out and disconnected the fuel lines with the disconnect tool and I thought that was it. There are no more vacuum lines to remove either. It will go every which way except the way I want it to. How do you get the fuel rails up and over the intake? It keeps bumping the top of the cowl. Do you have to take off those 2 torx screws on the crossover pipe? I got one out and it didnt help. The passenger side screw is too hard to get to. I am trying to install a cam and I cant get to those 2 back bolts on the intake until these fuel rails are off. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well thats different. Ive never taken the fuel rail off the intake in order to take the intake off the motor. Sounds like you've about covered everything, just pull up on the fuel rail. It doesnt take much clearance to get it to come up. Im not quite sure what else to tell you as ive never had a problem taking off the fuel rail. Free bump
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

should just lift off once you have the injectors free, thats the worst part.
Try to pull it towards the front of the car and then out?

I've never had any trouble getting it off, aside from the injectors being a little sticky sometimes

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

weird. ive also never had any problems pulling the fuel rails and ive done it many times.

1. Remove 4 bolts holding rails on
2. Disconnect feed and return fuel lines
3. Unplug vac hose from regulator
4. Pull fuel rails with injectors attatched
Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

The injectors can get a little stuck in there so it may require a little pulling or prying to get it out.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're gentle enough, you can pry up on the front of the fuel rail (if you have a 94+) with a screwdriver between the crossover tube. If it's never been off it'll definitely be a bit sticky.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I was squatting over my motor in my engine bay yanking up on the sides of the rails to release the injectors.

To get the actual rails over the intake under the cowl I turn the fuel rails nearly 90º and twisted it a little to get it to come out from behind the intake/cowl.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. This is a 93 Trans Am and I think they are a little different than other years. I have already gotten the injectors out of the manifold its just a matter of lifting it all over the manifold and out. Its like theres not enough room. I will try rotating 90 degrees. I know I was close to getting it off but theres the inlet ASM or fuel pressure regulator that wont make trip over the manifold. See here - http://shbox.com/1/fuel_rail_93.jpg
Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Judging by shoebox's diagrams it looks like the 94's and up fuel rails are alot easier to take off. Anybody got tips for this 93?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Judging by shoebox's diagrams it looks like the 94's and up fuel rails are alot easier to take off. Anybody got tips for this 93?
If you removed all of the injectors from the rail, would you have the clearance you needed?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

No its not the injectors that are in the way its something at the back of the fuel rails. Either the inlet ASM or fuel pressure regulator. I am going to try again later but any tips are appreciated.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

No its not the injectors that are in the way its something at the back of the fuel rails. Either the inlet ASM or fuel pressure regulator. I am going to try again later but any tips are appreciated.
Why did you want it removed in the first place?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

I am removing it because its in the way of those back 2 bolts on the intake. Im removing the intake to take out the lifters to change the cam. Anywayz I got it out. It was mainly that metal tab that goes over the intake bolt halfway down the intake. I had the bolt and top half of the tab off but not the bottom half of the tab. The O rings still all look good. Is there anything I need to do before reinstalling these injectors? I will coat the O rings with oil but is there a special way I need to clean the injectors or just wipe them off and reinstall?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am removing it because its in the way of those back 2 bolts on the intake. Im removing the intake to take out the lifters to change the cam. Anywayz I got it out. It was mainly that metal tab that goes over the intake bolt halfway down the intake. I had the bolt and top half of the tab off but not the bottom half of the tab. The O rings still all look good. Is there anything I need to do before reinstalling these injectors? I will coat the O rings with oil but is there a special way I need to clean the injectors or just wipe them off and reinstall?
You can spray the tops and bottoms of the injectors with TB/carb cleaner. Even if the o-rings look good, I would replace them cause it's cheap and easy.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Okay thanks I'll probably pick up a set from Napa.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair, I had problems taking my rail out too on my 93. It's because of the two rails in back, vs the 1 on 94+. I believe the main part that causes issues is the pressure regulator. I just installed my injectors with the rail where it sat heh. I also had to mod the injectors a bit to get them in (Ford ones, but seemingly no one else has to *shrug*) and do some other jerry rigging, but I've had no problems, so oh well
Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Man so far numerous times Ive regretted even starting this project. I just hope it runs when I put it back together. I really dont see how people survive being a full time mechanic having to work on cars like this. Guess Im just used to older muscle cars where theres hardly ever anything in your way. Looking at the exhaust manifolds makes me not even want to try putting in my MAC midlengths. I cant even see the bolts to spray them with PB blaster! If I ever get done it will be the last time I work on this car other than routine maintenance.

Oh yeah quick ?. On my driver side exhaust manifold theres not even a bolt in the hole closest to the bumper (first hole). The hole doesnt go far either. Did someone already ring it off for me or does it just not have one there?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man so far numerous times Ive regretted even starting this project. I just hope it runs when I put it back together. I really dont see how people survive being a full time mechanic having to work on cars like this. Guess Im just used to older muscle cars where theres hardly ever anything in your way. Looking at the exhaust manifolds makes me not even want to try putting in my MAC midlengths. I cant even see the bolts to spray them with PB blaster! If I ever get done it will be the last time I work on this car other than routine maintenance.

Oh yeah quick ?. On my driver side exhaust manifold theres not even a bolt in the hole closest to the bumper (first hole). The hole doesnt go far either. Did someone already ring it off for me or does it just not have one there?
The more you do it, the more spacious things get.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well I am deleting the air and EGR so Im happy about that. I might have to do the office space bit on that ****.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be better served coating the orings with silicone grease, a.k.a. plumber's grease, available at any hardware store. Just a suggestion, since that is what they give you when you buy a new set.

Quick Reply: My god how do you get the fuel rail out? Help!