Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Axle and New Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle and New Gears

I have a 96 z28 with about 90k miles on it. the car makes a high pitch squeeling noise when i turn sharply or quickly, and when i had my tires and rims changed the mechanic told me there was some give in the rear axle which im assuming was also causing the noise. I have a 2.73 right now and really wanna upgrade to a 3.42 or 3.73 to get that pulling factor up a bit. I was just wondering if anyone knew what else i would have to get to fix the squeeling problem, and if i need to replace the rear axle itself.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to go up from a 2.73 to anything higher you're going to need a new differential carrier (different series).
And gears, plus an installation kit, they don't usually include axle bearings. But you could buy an axle and bearing kit.
Thats about $1000 all together.
So thats replacing basically everything inside your axle housing. And that doesn't include labor.

If you want to go with a 3.42, you could find a good one at a junkyard out of a manual trans car. Prices I've seen are $400 and lower. And look in the classified section here.