LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Computer relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer relocation

Ok, don't know if i should post this here or in the appearance, but here it is... Has anyone ever moved the computer to the other side of the firewall? I'm going to be putting in the a/c delete panel, while keeping the heat/fan, but I'd like to put this below all that next to where my msd box is mounted. I just want to know if anyone did this, and if there was any issues w/wire length, etc. I'm a big fan of having a clean engine bay, so the more I can move the better, esp. if it's closer to the rear of the car!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also somewhat interested in this, i would love to see pics of where people relocated it and if you had to extend the wires and all that
Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Well you are going to be mowing alot of wires around. The ideal way would be to strip the Harness down and then lay the Wires out where you want them to go from each Connector. Then you will see what ones you will have to extend.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

I moved mine and it sits about center under the dash behind the radio.

keep in mind my underside of the dash is gutted

The only thing I had to lengthen was the harness which goes over the pass. strut tower. This I ran under the inner wheel liner and drilled a hole in the very lower side of the pass kick panel area to pass the wires inside.

I put one large hole in the upper corner of the HVAC plate for the main harness ( 4 ECU connectors ). I then put 1 smaller hole in the firewall just behind the pass head for the starter, knock sensor and 02 harness I believe.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Larry i'm thinkin i should just give you a couple hundred bucks and you should make my engine bay look like yours lol with all the wires gone and the fuel lines relocated haha. What do ya think? haha
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I moved mine and it sits about center under the dash behind the radio.

keep in mind my underside of the dash is gutted

The only thing I had to lengthen was the harness which goes over the pass. strut tower. This I ran under the inner wheel liner and drilled a hole in the very lower side of the pass kick panel area to pass the wires inside.

I put one large hole in the upper corner of the HVAC plate for the main harness ( 4 ECU connectors ). I then put 1 smaller hole in the firewall just behind the pass head for the starter, knock sensor and 02 harness I believe.
So in theory we could run all the wires through the same hole to the cpu if it was mounted directly on the other side of the firewall (maybe a little lower), is that correct? Or would we have to lengthen that set of wires going over the strut tower anyway? That's a lot of splicing, and I'm not a fan of doing that w/cpu wires... I'd like to do this, but at the same time, I like simple projects that net good results... typical lazy American, huh? lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably more work than someone would want to do for a couple hundred bucks, that's what I think lol
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Probably more work than someone would want to do for a couple hundred bucks, that's what I think lol
I certainly hope to be doing it for nothing but the cost of the things I have on hand, wire, splice connectors, aluminum coil, holesaws, etc... If this is going to cost a couple hundred you can bet this plan would be nixed mighty quickly... So where are you at in NC? You don't happen to be anywhere near ft bragg are you?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

unfortunately a couple hundred wouldn't cover it...lots of time to do what I have done.

I was worried about doing this at first, but doing the wires was really not bad. I got the same connectors and made a patch.

1 wire at a time and no issues

The stock hole may work, but it would not be as clean since the harness would be low. I did it high to keep it tucked to the underside of the cowl panel.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't put that much work into it unless I was swapping my Engine into another Car, as in something that wasn't a 4th Gen F-Body, and I have to tear the Harness down to make it work.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

certainly hope to be doing it for nothing but the cost of the things I have on hand, wire, splice connectors, aluminum coil, holesaws, etc... If this is going to cost a couple hundred you can bet this plan would be nixed mighty quickly... So where are you at in NC? You don't happen to be anywhere near ft bragg are you?
I was talking about the cost of having someone else do the job.

I am in the Corcord area when I am there. I'm up in PA right now
Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
I wouldn't put that much work into it unless I was swapping my Engine into another Car, as in something that wasn't a 4th Gen F-Body, and I have to tear the Harness down to make it work.
me?

the 1 wire at a time was just for the pass strut harness which took about 1hr..I'm slow

this again was the only wires to lengthen with the relocation
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

unfortunately a couple hundred wouldn't cover it...lots of time to do what I have done.

I was worried about doing this at first, but doing the wires was really not bad. I got the same connectors and made a patch.

1 wire at a time and no issues

The stock hole may work, but it would not be as clean since the harness would be low. I did it high to keep it tucked to the underside of the cowl panel.

Darn, it was worth a shot haha, i really just want to do the fuel lines and the wire harness i could do without the computer re-located. I just am so nervous i'll mess something up even with the fuel lines lol.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

me?
Not you, I was sayin my opinion basically.

The way I would do it if I was re-routing the Harness was to lay every Wire to each connector and where I wanted it to go and tape them all up.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Banned

o.k..I just wanted to be clear that there were little wire modification done with mine. The harness otherwise looks stock with just those few wires being taped and loomed.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Darn, it was worth a shot haha, i really just want to do the fuel lines and the wire harness i could do without the computer re-located. I just am so nervous i'll mess something up even with the fuel lines lol.

fuel line deal is easy with the AN conversion, but I could see kinking the plastic line being a possible issue
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya but i got no money for the AN lines right now haha. I'm gonna have to talk do dave from nitrious outlet for an AN line kit for the coolant lines from head to head to the radiator cause i stripped out both those banjo bolts.

Some day this winter i hope to grow the you know whats to do the wire relocation under the fender and the fuel line mod. Just don't know when lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well, when you say it's only going to take an hour, and you're slow, then I suppose I could get it done in a weekend... So I guess I'm feeling a little more confident about doing that now. Also, I may just put the wiring through a new hole, wherever I have some room after removing the engine side of the a/c box.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto
I was talking about the cost of having someone else do the job.

I am in the Corcord area when I am there. I'm up in PA right now
lol, yeah, I only noticed that after I had already posted my comment...

Quick Reply: Computer relocation