Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Delivery Nightmare

Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Delivery Nightmare

Ok here's the rundown.

I have a 98 z28 which is stock.

About a 3 weeks ago my car was acting funny when I would first turn it on... I would turn it on and it would bog down right away and die on me. I would have to rev it up to around 2500-3000 rpm for like 10 seconds to keep the engine running until it got to a steady idle.

2 weeks ago I garage the car for about a week due to cold weather but I forgot to unplug my radar detector and it ran down my battery. I get the battery charged at Oreillys and put it back in my car. I turn the key to "on" and the fuel pump doesnt prime. It turns on and buzzes for maybe a second but its really supposed to prime for 2-3 seconds before turning the key to "start."

I assume its my battery, perhaps a dead cell or something...

I buy an optima because I needed to get a nicer battery anyway. Install it. Same thing with the fuel pump.

I check my relays and fuses, everything's fine.

I then change my fuel filter and the same thing still happens to the pump. I try and purge it at the end of the fuel rail and all that happens is a small trickle of fuel. I unplug the line at the fuel filter and turn the key to see if its a problem after the filter and up into my rails that causing the problem but I still get just a trickle at the fuel filter.

I go ahead and buy a pump assuming that its getting power to it because its kicking on but just that its faulty because its not priming all the way. Install it using the access panel method and still I get the same result.

Do I have a ground wire problem somewhere and where would that most likely be if so... Or is it a problem with the fuel pressure regulator that is on the pump inside the tank?

Any help would be great because this is really frustrating me.

Is a bad FPR prematurely kicking off the pump from priming the full 2-3 seconds due to excess pressure or something or is a ground wire not working somewhere? Keep in mind that my car was idling horribly every so often about 3 weeks ago which is what lead me to believe after the battery that it was just a shot fuel pump which wasn't the case.

Last edited by cc.maro; 01-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine acted the same and dsnt run now. hoping someone will chime in
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fuel pump is likely bad.

Removing the line & getting hardly anything when the pump primes is a good indication.

The fact it makes noise leads me to believe you at least have electical connection to the pump.

The regulator does not prevent the pump from priming, it only controls the pressure, so the pump does not seem to be working properly.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

The thing is I already replaced the fuel pump...
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You did not say that in your original post, nor did you say what type you replaced it with. If you used a generic kit or one with a rubber hose, I think you found your problem.

If you want a good kit, give me a call.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cc.camaro
I go ahead and buy a pump assuming that its getting power to it because its kicking on but just that its faulty because its not priming all the way. Install it using the access panel method and still I get the same result.
It's just a factory pump that I replaced the stock one with.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Problem fixed. It ended up being something entirely seperate. PCM was malfunctioning and now that it's replaced the fuel pump primes and the car starts just fine.

Search this Thread