PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a hypertech programmer worth it for ME?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is a hypertech programmer worth it for ME?

here's what i'm thinking...

i'm doing headers soon but don't want to get a full tune until i finish bolt ons at least, and i haven't found anyone that'll delete the codes cheaply. so here's the thing. after headers i'll be running rich and throwing codes.

i know generally the hypertech is not worth the money. but since the "performance" tunes it comes with just lean it out, i could just load one of them to stop it from being as rich for the time being. biggest thing is i can scan the codes to make sure there's nothing serious going on. i don't want to have something go horribly wrong and not know because i have a light on all the time.

plus you can find these things dirt cheap in the classifieds. when i get my full tune i can just sell it for around what i bought it for.

any major flaws in this plan?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
here's what i'm thinking...

i'm doing headers soon but don't want to get a full tune until i finish bolt ons at least, and i haven't found anyone that'll delete the codes cheaply. so here's the thing. after headers i'll be running rich and throwing codes.

i know generally the hypertech is not worth the money. but since the "performance" tunes it comes with just lean it out, i could just load one of them to stop it from being as rich for the time being. biggest thing is i can scan the codes to make sure there's nothing serious going on. i don't want to have something go horribly wrong and not know because i have a light on all the time.

plus you can find these things dirt cheap in the classifieds. when i get my full tune i can just sell it for around what i bought it for.

any major flaws in this plan?
PM me....
Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't scan or delete your codes.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

maybe my terminology is wrong but can't i use it to read codes? just to make sure i'm only getting the codes related to egr/air/rear o2's?

and i know it won't delete em. i just wanna be able to check that all i'm getting is those codes.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

No, your terminology is correct. If all you want to do is read the codes, you can go to your local Autozone and they will do it for free. At least around here they will. Around here, they will also delete them for you, but I have read that is not the case everywhere.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick up a cheapo OBDII code reader from places like harbor freight.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Correct. They are around $50, and will delete the codes as well, IIRC. Of course, they will come right back...
Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Launching!

I put a Hypertech on my Jeep and made it ping like crazy - even with premium fuel. Then I told it to put the original tune back and it caused a check engine light to come on. Don't recall the exact code, but it had something to do with not being able to write to the EEPROM or etc. I took it into the dealer to have them check it out, and they couldn't log in or etc. $230 later and I had to get a new PCM.

For that, I'll never buy another Hypertech product. My $.02...
Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

well the hypertech can read and clear them temporarily too. i don't wanna have to drive to autozone every few days to check hahah.

i just checked a few sponsors and the prices for mail order tunes are a lot more reasonable than what i remembered. they do mail order tunes for about what a used hypertech costs so i'm thinking that may be more beneficial. that way i can just get the codes permanently deleted and not have to worry.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

It is now a $10,000 fine in CA to use the Autozone reader. Something about them not being a qualified service station. The only thing Hypertech can do for you is change shift points, firmness, and rev limiter. I would have it tuned.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by danielgoforth
It is now a $10,000 fine in CA to use the Autozone reader. Something about them not being a qualified service station.
Sorry, that's BS But it doesn't surprise me, it is CA.... What is the difference between them doing it and you buying one and doing it yourself? Or is that illegal, too?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by danielgoforth
It is now a $10,000 fine in CA to use the Autozone reader. Something about them not being a qualified service station. The only thing Hypertech can do for you is change shift points, firmness, and rev limiter. I would have it tuned.
i just don't wanna pay for a full tune now, and then do an ls6 intake or something after. i'd rather just finish everything up, then get it tuned. maybe i'll go mail order or keep looking to see if anyone'll delete codes cheap.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

will a hypertech or Diablo allow you to change converter lock up speed.

Quick Reply: is a hypertech programmer worth it for ME?