LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heat problems

Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heat problems

I bought my car in the summer, so I didn't notice at the time that the heat didn't blow hot. The temp gauge runs between around 200 degrees. I checked the mixer controls and they are working fine.

Next I felt the heater hoses going into the heater core and one felt quite a bit hotter than the other. I flushed out the heater core and some gunk came out but it flowed water through it just fine. I put it all back together and it didn't get hot at first. After a bit it was blowing out hot.

The next day I checked it again and there was no coolant loss. At first it would only blow luke warm but after driving it a bit it started blowing hotter. It's definitely better, but not 100 percent. My first thought would have been the heater core, but since it was flowing fine I'm second guessing myself.

Next up is gonna be a thermostat and replacing all of the coolant. If that doesn't do it then it's gotta be the heater core.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a low temp stat in it?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you flush it both ways? You should be flushing the crap out of it when you flush it. Might as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm guessing no on the lower temp stat, but I'm not 100% sure because I bought the car with 63K on it. It was mostly stock though (wheels and lowering springs).

I only flushed it one way, but I put a bit of pressure to it. I didn't want to go crazy with it since it's 14 years old and I didn't want it to blow and spew coolant into my interior, lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Probably still have an air pocket in it, how well did you bleed it?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only flushed it one way there is probably still a bunch of **** in it. When I flush them both ways, a bunch of **** comes out both ways.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

is there still air trapped in it....lt1's take forever to bleed
Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm failry certain that it's bled well. few drives, the temp comes up fine and the coolant level is always good.

I figure that I'm gonna replace the coolant anyway so I'll flush the heater core both ways when I do that.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you mention that it takes awhile for the air to heat up, your heater core is taking longer to absorb the heat from the coolant. Therefore it's probably still clogged.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

don't know if you've done this but you also might want to flush the radiator, if you got gunk out of the heater core, there is also gunk in the radiator.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna flush out the radiator when I change the coolant. I'm also gonna reflush the heater core. The water seemed to flow through it very well, but obviously there's still a problem somewhere.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Old thread, but I finally got off my *** and replaced all the coolant and flushed out the heater core again. This time I took the advice given on here and flushed it in both directions. Took a while to get it topped off (what's new, lol) and now it works perfectly as far as I can tell. Good heat all the time.

Also, I replaced the window channel on the driver's side window. It's the metal channel that is riveted to the glass itself. It was a pain in the *** to replace, but I needed to because the guide broke and the window just flopped around and wouldn't go up straight without me guiding it by hand. I also replaced the felt guides that bolt to the top of the door and keep the glass from getting scratched. Those were of a preventative job than anything else.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Old thread, but I finally got off my *** and replaced all the coolant and flushed out the heater core again. This time I took the advice given on here and flushed it in both directions. Took a while to get it topped off (what's new, lol) and now it works perfectly as far as I can tell. Good heat all the time.

Also, I replaced the window channel on the driver's side window. It's the metal channel that is riveted to the glass itself. It was a pain in the *** to replace, but I needed to because the guide broke and the window just flopped around and wouldn't go up straight without me guiding it by hand. I also replaced the felt guides that bolt to the top of the door and keep the glass from getting scratched. Those were of a preventative job than anything else.

Thanks for the help guys!
thank you for the update

Search this Thread