Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Borla vs. stock WS6 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla vs. stock WS6 muffler

Hey,

I have a stock exhuast on my 1996 Formula WS6. First off, is that the same exhaust as a stock non-WS6 exhaust or is the WS6 exhaust different?

Also, I'm looking at just getting the Borla ProXS universal muffler that has the same single inlet/dual outlet as my stock one. The Borla is a little smaller overall though. Can't swing for the full cat-back at this time.

Main question - Will this ProXS muffler with the rest of the exhaust kept stock be any louder? I dont need to change it if its gonna sound the same. I just like every Borla system Ive heard and I want some more growl.

So...does anyone have or heard just the Borla muffler added and not the cat-back? Is it better sounding than stock WS6 muffler?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For your year IIRC the muffler is slightly less restrictive but the pipe sizes are the same `99- 02 WS6's had larger tailpipes and different round tips
`98's are the oddball year with a single 3.5" tip on the Left
`96-97 WS6's could also be optioned with the SLP dual on the left and the dual dual (97 only) Same systems were standard on Firehawks of the same vintage
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info on the other years. Thats kinda what I figured for my year.

What do you think about the Borla sound if just the mufler is put on?

Any difference from stock? Im thinking some but the catback is what I usually hear in soundclips and they have the different cutouts so its hard to tell what just the muffler would do.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Previous owner installed just the Borla muffler on mine. He said if he had to do it over again, he'd do the full cat-back. By the time you buy the muffler, tips, this, that, and everything you need, you aren't too far off on the price of a full cat-back.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

itll sound different and be louder. get a catback though imo. like stated above then you'll want nice tips and install will cost a lot to custom fit a muffler in. well, enough where you might as well get a $250-300 catback. look on ls1sounds.com and google video for our cars with the jegs catback, texas speed rumbler, and slp loudmouth 1 and 2. all are pretty cheap.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Launching!

just get dynomax bullets or sweet thunder, sounds nice and deep. and its cheap
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

There's alot of decent sounding cat-back and muffler combos out there, I agree.
I have this site where I can listen to dozens of them and for my tastes it's gonna be something Borla.

I know the full Borla cat-back system sounds awesome I just have to decide if the Borla muffler by itself will suffice. I really wanna keep my Meachem tips and I know that some of the reason for the high cost of the Borla cat-back system is the included quad tips. They are nice but I wont need them.

I also like the tunable inserts that the full system provides.

Aaaauuuugh....!!!! I will wish I'd gotten the full-system if I dont, but the budget(or more accurately, the wife) is balking at the cat-backs pricetag.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
Hey,

I have a stock exhuast on my 1996 Formula WS6. First off, is that the same exhaust as a stock non-WS6 exhaust or is the WS6 exhaust different?

Also, I'm looking at just getting the Borla ProXS universal muffler that has the same single inlet/dual outlet as my stock one. The Borla is a little smaller overall though. Can't swing for the full cat-back at this time.

Main question - Will this ProXS muffler with the rest of the exhaust kept stock be any louder? I dont need to change it if its gonna sound the same. I just like every Borla system Ive heard and I want some more growl.

So...does anyone have or heard just the Borla muffler added and not the cat-back? Is it better sounding than stock WS6 muffler?

Thanks!
Well If you want the sound just get muffler. The Borla catback is like $900 id get GMMG instead.

Cheapest catback is magnaflow stainless steel catback I got mine for $311 Shipped from planetmagnaflow.com there Magnaflow Distributor.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies...

Well, I went with just the Borla muffler. I already have the Meachem tips that I like and I got a great deal on the Muffler. It's the one for this car, the Pro XS part number 40474. It listed from Summit and Jegs for about $280 and the cheapest I saw it elsewhere was $250. I got mine new from an Ebay store for $178 including shipping.

I can always add a cat-back later but this frees up some cash for some other things like a Pro 5.0 shifter maybe.

I'll let ya know how it sounds over stock with just the muffler.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for the magnaflow catback i love mine and why a pro 5.0 shifter lol putting mustang parts on an f-body is never a good idea

Quick Reply: Borla vs. stock WS6 muffler