Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What Posi Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Posi Is This?

Picked up a 10-bolt rear end out of an SS, and I am thinking that it has either the Auburn or Zexel-Torsen carrier, since it looks nothing like any stock WS6 10-bolt rear I have seen. Trying to figure out how to disassemble it to pull the axles to put my old ones in with the backing plates and having some trouble figuring it out. The drum of the carrier is of a dark gray material with 2 ovals revealing 2 yellow springs on one side and 3 on the opposite side. Through the middle there is a round steel bar about an inch thick holding the assembly together.
Any thoughts or know-how of how to make this work would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What Posi Is This?

If you hold the pinion still and spin one axle forward, what does it do? A torsen will spin the opposite axle backwards and an Auburn will turn the pinion gear and both axles will spin forward. That will tell you what you have, then we can try to figure out how to get it apart. Hope this helps....
Old 10-03-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

spinning one of the axles turns the pinion and the other axle in the same direction, therefore I would surmise that it is an Auburn, now how do you pull the axles?

Thank you trackbird for your help.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I remember (it's been a while since I looked at an Auburn), you simply remove the "set bolt" (it is a small, 8mm maybe, bolt that holds the cross shaft in)on the cross shaft (that "1 inch bar" through the center) and slide it out of the way. Then push the axles in toward the carrier (tap them in with a soft mallet) and the clips should drop out. Then remove the axle.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your car has the 4channel ABS, with the sensors on the backing plate, you will have to remove those before you can slide the axle in far enough to the "c" clip out.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok now that i looked at the pictures of an auburn unit and a zexel, it is definitely an an auburn. So what you are saying is once that bolt is out then slide out the crossbar which we did, and then tap the rotors and backing plates with a soft mallet inwards towards the carrier. The thing that I ran into was that the plates are spring loaded and thought that you had to use a pry bar to get them out and only then once those are out you can get to the c-clips. The clips around the end of the axles are a lot more stout than those of a normal rear end - or at least what I'm used to seeing. They didnt look like they were going to drop out but I can give it a shot tomorrow before work. Thanks again, any any second thoughts are appreciated in getting this heap going again.