General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door *pops* when opened

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door *pops* when opened

Door makes a *pop* sound, often two distinct ones if opened all the way. The door doesn't feel like it's sagging and there's no play if you wiggle it up and down. I've traced the sound to the pin and roller pictured below. This is the driver's side, lower hinge.

You can see the roller part is out of whack and it has a deep groove worn in it. I compared it to the passenger side which is very smooth and makes no noise - the roller part is very solid and aligned with the pin going through it and it only has a slight groove.

I've tried greasing it, all that does is promote dirt and grime build-up.

How do I go about fixing this? I'm hoping I don't need a whole new hinge.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You will have to replace the unit it sounds like it is beyond repair. Get a new pin ect. and replace it. Sorry
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Screw that, I think that thing is welded in. All it does is hold the door open for you any way. If it was me I would just cut off the spring and the thing that roles on the wheel.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
Screw that, I think that thing is welded in. All it does is hold the door open for you any way. If it was me I would just cut off the spring and the thing that roles on the wheel.
hehe, I wouldn't particularly enjoy my driver door flapping in the breeze when I open it.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole GM p/n is 16631043 (LH HINGE ASM) which can be had for under $60. I would *love* to avoid replacing this part if possible.