Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do new speakers require new wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do new speakers require new wires?

Ok so I have an alpine head unit, the speakers in my door and sail panel are alpine but the rears are stockers and I'm guessing the oem amp is disconnected? Not really sure about that.

When the front alpines were installed they split the component wires and hooked them up to be running with the stock radio, (there was a write up on how to hook up the alpines to work with the stock radio so they would sound good because of the 2 ohm...) Later I got the head unit and just recently i replaced the sail panel speakers.

Do i need to replace the wiring? Since the factory wires were set up to run on 2 ohm?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a wire is a wire is a wire, doesn't matter if it is hooked up to 2ohm speakers or 100ohm resistors, is the current running through the wires that matters and that is determined by the power of the amplifier and speaker impedance. If you are powering your speakers off the headunit or stock amp then the stock wiring it fine since you will only be running 5-30W of power to each channel. You should only have to upgrade the speaker and power wires if you are running a high powered aftermarket amp.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just add to what he ^ said and say that if the wiring is in good shape than you are fine. I'd look at changing the wire out if the copper is turning brown from oxidation or the insulation is drying out.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Copper turns green when it oxidizes, and you can use emery cloth or sandpaper to take care of that. However, I ran my own 12 gauge wire.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Copper turns green when it oxidizes, and you can use emery cloth or sandpaper to take care of that. However, I ran my own 12 gauge wire.
It will turn a darker brown inside of the insulation in a vehicle, and when it does, it is not conducting as well as it did when it was new. Current flows on the outside surface of the material (which is why a finely stranded power wire works better for your amps)...it turns green when it's really exposed to the elements and corroding really badly...but a darker brown as indicated above is still bad too...you'll usually find better sound quality with better wire that isn't turning brown inside the insulation (most aftermarket speaker wire holds up a lot better than the wire GM uses).
Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

The skin effect is for VERY high frequency. It does not even SLIGHTLY apply in audio. First of all, oxidization is not going to occur far down the wire from just air, and it won't affect anything if it does. Oxidization of copper, like aluminum, forms a protective barrier, unlike iron where it will continue to eat through the material.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
The OP is talking about connecting speakers to the factory system. Hell, you can run 300W continuous into 4 ohms on 16-gauge wire so 12-gauge is overkill for anything but high powered systems or subs.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The OP is talking about connecting speakers to the factory system. Hell, you can run 300W continuous into 4 ohms on 16-gauge wire so 12-gauge is overkill for anything but high powered systems or subs.
I never told him to buy 12-gauge wire.