Sponsored by:

Solid roller turbo cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid roller turbo cam?

please help me with cam selection for my build
I contacted alot of site sponsors with no answer apart of speed inc they suggested a huge cam and to replace my heads, springs, and almost every thing
please help me here I invested alot of time & money on the parts I got + shipping cost to Saudi I don't want to lose that
I have 2002 ls1 camaro with professionaly built all forged 347ci with 8.4 compression ratio and 7350 max RPM balanced motor
gm performance parts cnc ls6 heads with 65 cc chamber 2.00 In 1.56 ex valves
comp cams double springs & titanum retainers
gm performance parts single plane intake manifold with FAST 90 mm throttle body "fuel injection"
RC 750cc injectors (will upgrade in the futuer to bigger)
TWIN Garrett GT3582R Turbos with 1.03 A/R & Tial stainless turbine housings
Truck exhaust manifolds with no egr
comp cams mechanical roller lifters
Jesel 1.75 shaft mounted adjustable roller rockers
professionaly built TH400
car target wight 3200 lb
this is gonna be a drag race car with limited street use on weekends
I'M looking for a SOLID CAMSHAFT FOR MY CAR
looking for 900+ rwhp,

if you have any Qs please ask
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Talk to Allan at Futral Motorsports. He was one of the first people to run a solid cam in a LS1. He knows his stuff.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

1) On paper, solid roller cams huge
2) Solid roller cams require a lot more spring pressure. The easiest way to get this is to run a larger dia. spring. To do this you either have to cut the spring pockets on the heads, or get an aftermarket casting. The GM CNC LS6 heads have been HEAVILY ported and they just don't have enough meat to cut the spring pockets any bigger.

Sounds like Speed Inc. was pointing you in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by amjadZ28SS

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
The GM CNC LS6 heads have been HEAVILY ported and they just don't have enough meat to cut the spring pockets any bigger.

Am I missing something? I run LS6 castings w/ a solid cam and don't have a problem. Almost 100 passes at 8k RPM+
LS6 castings (no matter how well ported) can't flow much higher than .670 lift. So the springs don't have to be that crazy because the cam (if matched) won't be that crazy.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCFormula
Talk to Allan at Futral Motorsports. He was one of the first people to run a solid cam in a LS1. He knows his stuff.
thanks for that e-mail was sent to Allan I hope he answer's my email

I totally agree with you my problem that I thought I'm at the right track when I bought the ls6 heads and got them shipped to Saudi they ran to about $ 2500 if I can remember right

1) On paper, solid roller cams huge
2) Solid roller cams require a lot more spring pressure. The easiest way to get this is to run a larger dia. spring. To do this you either have to cut the spring pockets on the heads, or get an aftermarket casting. The GM CNC LS6 heads have been HEAVILY ported and they just don't have enough meat to cut the spring pockets any bigger.
speed inc recommends
"I would recommend be using stainless valves at minimum. It sounds like you have factory LS6 valves? Sodium filled LS6 valves maybe a problem with turbo/solid roller.

Other problem, you need 3/8" pushrods which don't clear the factory heads.
The lobes I use for solid roller are typically .738" lift, with a 1.75 ratio rocker that becomes .760" lift, theirs some "street" solid roller lobes i've used that are around .675 lift, again with 1.75 ratio that becomes .695" lift

What I recommend, have trick flow/TEA build a set of 215/225cc heads for solid roller, have them clearanced for 3/8 pushrods and have them assembled with .800" lift springs and proper length solid stem valves."

I know they are right on every single recommendation they recommend but I can't run different heads now
did I miss matched parts please tell me
I once thought that I'm at the right track

Last edited by amjadZ28SS; 01-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

You can't change heads now. If your pistons are made for stock heads and you change the valve reliefs won't be in the right place. LS6 heads will be fine for a while but your limit will be the deck on them. I'd stick with <20psi if you really want it to last.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amjadZ28SS
please help me with cam selection for my build
I contacted alot of site sponsors with no answer apart of speed inc they suggested a huge cam and to replace my heads, springs, and almost every thing
please help me here I invested alot of time & money on the parts I got + shipping cost to Saudi I don't want to lose that
I have 2002 ls1 camaro with professionaly built all forged 347ci with 8.4 compression ratio and 7350 max RPM balanced motor
comp cams double springs & titanum retainers
gm performance parts single plane intake manifold with FAST 90 mm throttle body "fuel injection"
RC 750cc injectors (will upgrade in the futuer to bigger)
TWIN Garrett GT3582R Turbos with 1.03 A/R & Tial stainless turbine housings
Truck exhaust manifolds with no egr
comp cams mechanical roller lifters
Jesel 1.75 shaft mounted adjustable roller rockers
professionaly built TH400
car target wight 3200 lb
this is gonna be a drag race car with limited street use on weekends
I'M looking for a SOLID CAMSHAFT FOR MY CAR
looking for 900+ rwhp,

if you have any Qs please ask
I just came across this thread. I did reply to your email earlier today. Sorry for the delay, I get about 60 to 100 tech email a day... Its a daunting task to keep up with all of them but I do my best. I do have a couple of options on lobe choices which will work with your 1.75 rockers. The heads will have to have the pushrod holes clearanced but that is no big deal. I have 2 sets of LS6 heads here with Ti valves and clearancing for 3/8" pushrods. I have two lobe families which will net you either .630"-.640 or .655"-.665" lift in the 230-250 duration range. Its just a matter of nailing your combination with the proper converter, gear, and tire height.

My only concerns are the stock hollow stem valves living with the turbo and SR spring pressures required... Its all doable though. Just let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Teching In

You can't change heads now. If your pistons are made for stock heads and you change the valve reliefs won't be in the right place. LS6 heads will be fine for a while but your limit will be the deck on them. I'd stick with <20psi if you really want it to last.
my pistons are wiesco reverse dome I hope I don't have any valve to piston issues, I will check any way with any cam I select.

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I just came across this thread. I did reply to your email earlier today. Sorry for the delay, I get about 60 to 100 tech email a day... Its a daunting task to keep up with all of them but I do my best. I do have a couple of options on lobe choices which will work with your 1.75 rockers. The heads will have to have the pushrod holes clearanced but that is no big deal. I have 2 sets of LS6 heads here with Ti valves and clearancing for 3/8" pushrods. I have two lobe families which will net you either .630"-.640 or .655"-.665" lift in the 230-250 duration range. Its just a matter of nailing your combination with the proper converter, gear, and tire height.

My only concerns are the stock hollow stem valves living with the turbo and SR spring pressures required... Its all doable though. Just let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,
Shane
thanks Shane for answering my email
I dicided yesterday to stick to the LS6 heads that I got for the moment and make 'em work no matter what and when I have money for better heads I will buy a set of after market and bigger cam
I will email you with all answers for Qs you ask in email
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Well, first of all, you are probaly gonna have to change teh springs on your heads that you have. I mean, they MAY have been setup for a solid roller, I don't know. I am just assuming they were setup for hydraulic as that is the way most people go, and without having the cam already, what is intalled height? Spring pressure seat? Open? So, if you are going solid roller, a spring swap is probaly in the cards. What I can tell you is to talk to Erik over at HKRacing. He is the man!

I also think you were either misinformed or someone does not know what they are talking about when you said MAX RPM 7350 (unless it a class limit)
Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

I remember this email

you wanted to run solid roller with 918 springs and 243 heads?

Heres problem, any spring to fit in 1.300" OD will be for maximum .700 lift, theirs very few springs that fall into that margin, basically none that have enough seat pressure for solid roller.

like I said in another part of the email

why not just run hydraulic roller?

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 01-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, first of all, you are probaly gonna have to change teh springs on your heads that you have. I mean, they MAY have been setup for a solid roller, I don't know. I am just assuming they were setup for hydraulic as that is the way most people go, and without having the cam already, what is intalled height? Spring pressure seat? Open? So, if you are going solid roller, a spring swap is probaly in the cards. What I can tell you is to talk to Erik over at HKRacing. He is the man!

when I bought the heads I bought them assembeld from summitracing more than a year a go
before that I bought a set of compcams double springs .650
to be hounest I never know before that there are cams larger than .650 and it would be different springs for solid cams this is why I bought them springs.

my plan was to sell the ls6 springs and keep the valves

Originally Posted by Gen414
I also think you were either misinformed or someone does not know what they are talking about when you said MAX RPM 7350 (unless it a class limit)
this is what the builder said the crank is balanced to this RPM
thanks for replying
Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
I remember this email

you wanted to run solid roller with 918 springs and 243 heads?

Heres problem, any spring to fit in 1.300" OD will be for maximum .700 lift, theirs very few springs that fall into that margin, basically none that have enough seat pressure for solid roller.

like I said in another part of the email

why not just run hydraulic roller?
thanks fraser for stopping by
I emailed you the wrong part number of the springs my springs are compcams 26921-16
as I said I never knew before that there were cams spicialy for ls1 with .738" of lift
to be honest I thought you my miss understod my e-mail & thought it was a top-fuel engine and I thought you used to get e-mails asking about custom cams for this kind of engines
plus
I have turbos that have 1200hp cfm potential and I wanted 900rwhp I thought 15 psi will double my engine power and it's easy to get 500 out of an Ls6 with small cam better intake+ add ons

about runing 243 and solid I've seen it before
this guy running truck heads on 347 and a solid roller and he makes 1000+ hp
http://www.stenodperformance.com/projects/kevin/

I want to run the solid cam because
1 my plan was to run solid from the bigining of my project
2 I paid over 1500 on Jesel adjustable rockers and compcams solid lifters
every part I bought over the last 2 years was what I thoght the best part money could buy
I worked more than hard to get that money
this is why I want to run a solid cam
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you are trying to do is ok. 5 or 6 years ago, it was the only option. We built more than a few solid roller cammed stock headed LS1's. As long as you stay in the mid .600" lift, you can use your stock valves. You will need solid roller compatable springs and have them set up properly. The spring choice will be determined based on your final cam design. I did a mild solid roller N/A setup recently in a 402 w/AFR 225's. We picked up 80+ RWHP above 6400 rpms and 45 lb/ft of torque down low. This is going from a 244/248 XE-R to a 244/248 solid with ~.650" lift.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Am I missing something? I run LS6 castings w/ a solid cam and don't have a problem. Almost 100 passes at 8k RPM+
LS6 castings (no matter how well ported) can't flow much higher than .670 lift. So the springs don't have to be that crazy because the cam (if matched) won't be that crazy.
I didn't mean LS6 heads in general, I meant the CNC GMPP heads specifically. World Challenge Corvettes have had their fair share of problems with them. I believe the intake port volume is 245-250cc.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
What you are trying to do is ok. 5 or 6 years ago, it was the only option. We built more than a few solid roller cammed stock headed LS1's. As long as you stay in the mid .600" lift, you can use your stock valves. You will need solid roller compatable springs and have them set up properly. The spring choice will be determined based on your final cam design. I did a mild solid roller N/A setup recently in a 402 w/AFR 225's. We picked up 80+ RWHP above 6400 rpms and 45 lb/ft of torque down low. This is going from a 244/248 XE-R to a 244/248 solid with ~.650" lift.

Thanks,
Shane

That's what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Solid roller turbo cam?