LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Z28 M6 With STS? Quick Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Z28 M6 With STS? Quick Question...

Hey guys, I have been a long time reader, first time poster here, and had a question or two for you guru's. It may have been asked before, but I tried searching with no results. I recently bought a 93 Z28, M6. The guy I bought it from said it has a "mild cam" and some suspension work. It runs strong, but I have no documentation on what he has done. It looks untampered with to be honest. It has just under 100K miles on the odometer, and other work that has been done is unknown. I have been wondering if getting an STS turbo kit for it would be a good mod for it. I got the car cheap and can justify the cost of the kit. My real question is this: If I get the kit and have it installed is there any way I can do something to make it sound meaner? I heard one in person, and quite frankly, Im not that impressed with the tone of it. Im used to hearing that mean tone that LT1's with exhaust can produce. Am I stuck with that petty tone of the STS or is there something I can do? I dont know if a cutout is an option, due to the turbo needing exhaust.
Im sorry for such a long post, I know it can be annoying reading through that much wording for a simple question, lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sicxx
Hey guys, I have been a long time reader, first time poster here, and had a question or two for you guru's. It may have been asked before, but I tried searching with no results. I recently bought a 93 Z28, M6. The guy I bought it from said it has a "mild cam" and some suspension work. It runs strong, but I have no documentation on what he has done. It looks untampered with to be honest. It has just under 100K miles on the odometer, and other work that has been done is unknown. I have been wondering if getting an STS turbo kit for it would be a good mod for it. I got the car cheap and can justify the cost of the kit. My real question is this: If I get the kit and have it installed is there any way I can do something to make it sound meaner? I heard one in person, and quite frankly, Im not that impressed with the tone of it. Im used to hearing that mean tone that LT1's with exhaust can produce. Am I stuck with that petty tone of the STS or is there something I can do? I dont know if a cutout is an option, due to the turbo needing exhaust.
Im sorry for such a long post, I know it can be annoying reading through that much wording for a simple question, lol.
If I were you, I would take the money you were going to spend on a STS kit and buy a nice heads and cam package. I have always been partial to NA builds myself, and I also have heard some so-so opinions on the STS kit. Not only will you make great power with a heads/cam package, but you will keep that mean sound. I would give Advanced Induction (Ai) or Llyod Elliot a call and talk to them about what your power goals are. You can build a reliable car that makes anywhere from 300-450+rwhp very easily. Then you can get the exhaust set up of your choice and sound like the grim reaper coming to put all of the Mustangs and ricers to death!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Then you can get the exhaust set up of your choice and sound like the grim reaper coming to put all of the Mustangs and ricers to death!
Lol! Thanks I want to invest about $4000.00 at first to just get the car a little more love under the hood . I dont want a full blown race car or anything, lol. I never really thought about heads and cam, I thought that would be much more work involved, I assume, maybe having to buy new injectors and pump too?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I would go with a H/C in it over a Turbo, that is just my opinion..
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol! Thanks I want to invest about $4000.00 at first to just get the car a little more love under the hood . I dont want a full blown race car or anything, lol. I never really thought about heads and cam, I thought that would be much more work involved, I assume, maybe having to buy new injectors and pump too?
New injectors would be recommended, a new pump is usually not necessary, depending on the build. $4k will buy you a very nice head/cam build with all of the supporting modifications needed (parts only). If you don't plan to do the work yourself, it will cost you some, maybe $1-2k more in labor.

Do yourself a favor, do ALOT of research before you decide/buy anything.

Do some browsing:
Advanced Induction (Ai)
http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProducts.html

Llyod Elliot
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Give these guys a call, they will be more than happy to help you and answer your questions.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by the_merv
I would go with a H/C in it over a Turbo, that is just my opinion..
Whats that? Im sorry Im still learning as I go. I would definitely have a professional shop do the work for me, as Im still getting my feet wet with the mechanics of this car.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whats that? Im sorry Im still learning as I go. I would definitely have a professional shop do the work for me, as Im still getting my feet wet with the mechanics of this car.
H/C = Heads & Cam.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

Now I feel like a real idiot, LOL. I should have caught onto that.. I will be definitely looking into H/C packages now. Then I just browsed over this site and found an APS Twin turbo kit, but I think I would hurt the motor with something like that... But, on the bright side, I can put any exhaust I would want on it
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now I feel like a real idiot, LOL. I should have caught onto that.. I will be definitely looking into H/C packages now. Then I just browsed over this site and found an APS Twin turbo kit, but I think I would hurt the motor with something like that... But, on the bright side, I can put any exhaust I would want on it
Well FI (forced induction) aka turbo/supercharger builds will always sound different than NA (naturally aspirated) aka heads/cam builds. But sound is only one tiny aspect of a build plan. Do a lot of research, and go with what you want.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I would go with H/C.. I have a 93 with H/C and bolt ons and it's lovin life.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do both....

HA HA, J/K, i would say H/C, sounds much meaner than a blower to me...
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Sweet, I will be doing alot more reading now . Hopefully I can find the right H/C package that will suit me Then maybe later down the line get a supercharger, but thats much later, lol.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

rock on bro, i just got a head cam sts kit car and its been whoooping some assssss around here FRENCH ROAD FTW!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

BTW i would take a turbo car over a cammed car on any day
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Hairdryers are the way to go, the sounds they make are just sick. and oops i forgot METH!!!!

Quick Reply: 93 Z28 M6 With STS? Quick Question...