Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 trans am problem with factory amp no sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am problem with factory amp no sound

i got a 98 trans am with the stock moonsoon stereo everything worked perfect sounded really good and then one day no sound radio works turns on and everything just no sound ....i put two factory radios , a aftermarket cd player , and tried another factory amp and nothing worked...does it have a fuse for the factory amp??? how can i bypass it the factory amp??? any help

Last edited by TAMPALS1TRANSAM; 01-13-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The amp is protected by the RADIO ACCY fuse in slot 4. Never trust visual inspection of a fuse - a blown fuse can look fine. Always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Teching In

i checked the fuse and its not blown i took it out and check it.......i think i going to have to rerun the speaker wires to the headunit and fix the problem
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a DMM and probe for power at the amp
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

i checked the fuse and its not blown i took it out and check it.......i think i going to have to rerun the speaker wires to the headunit and fix the problem
Well, you can do that but it's the "I give up, let's use brute force" method of fixing the problem.

If you want to actually find the problem and solve it then you can do some diagnostics. The thing that concerns me is that you're getting no sound at all. Since this is a Firebird, the tweeters in the doors and the hatch area run directly off the headunit without going through the Monsoon amp. So if the amp was the problem then you would still be getting sound from those tweeters. This makes me believe that the wiring somewhere close to the head unit is the problem. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that you have power on the orange (battery) wire at the HU but not on the yellow (ignition) wire. The orange wire powers the display but the yellow powers the internal amplifier. Check the RADIO fuse first but then also use a meter or test light to check for power at the HU connector.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Teching In

the radio works perfect and all the fuses are good too...i didnt touch anything on the car it quit working on its own
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you're sure that the head unit is functioning properly then the problem must be in the wiring no matter how unlikely that would be. Further diagnostics will involve getting access to the wiring at the speakers as well as behind the HU. The easiest place to start would be with the right side hatch area speakers since they are easily accessible. Unplug the main harness from the back of the HU and use a meter to test continuity on the dark blue and the light blue wires in the white connector to the corresponding wires at the right rear tweeter.

Now, if there is no continuity then you'll have to start tracking down where the wiring is broken or disconnected. But if there is continuity then we're back to the head unit because if it were sending a signal, you would be hearing it from that rear tweeter at the very least.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Ok ill try that when i get home from work

Quick Reply: 98 trans am problem with factory amp no sound